PDA

View Full Version : Red & Yellow Calla Lily.

Daniel Cadieux
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
From our front yard garden, this beautiful Calla Lily is blooming quite nicely. The backlit conditions really caught my eye, so I set up a black t-shirt behind the flowers to hide the busy BG and snapped away.

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 @71mm + 12mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/125s., f7.1, ISO 640, no EC, natural light, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_CallaLily_4123-01.jpg

Randy Stout
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Daniel:

Lovely. Very painterly. Black background and shallow DOF contribute to the effect. Nice comp.

You might consider breaking out your tripod and shootting at f/22 for the giggles, might give you some options.

:):)

Randy

Julie Kenward
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Gorgeous Daniel! You nailed that focus right on the outer edge and the very tip...fantastic! Love the colors although I'd be tempted to pull back the yellows just a little. Cool image...what a dramatic impact.

denise ippolito
06-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Daniel, I really like the chosen DOF, just perfect IMO. Beautiful bold colors against the black BG -Nicely done.

Richard Lovison
06-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Daniel,

I love the drama created by the saturation of the flower and the dark background and the curve of the petal. What bothered me was the amount of red on the left side that I felt competed with the edge curve that I'm assuming you wanted to showcase. I tried just cropping the left hand side but didn't feel that worked. So I tried a vertical and added a bit more background. It's just an idea... trash it if it doesn't work for you. :)

http://richardlovison.com/photos/repost1.jpg

Anita Bower
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I think this is gorgeous. I love the colors and the curves, especially that well-defined one. The black BG works really well. I see what Richard means, but I prefer your version.

Daniel Cadieux
06-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions! Richard thanks for the rework, I appreciate your taking the time to fiddle with the image - fresh ideas (such as image flips) are always good to come by.

Christopher Miller
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Love the colors here, Daniel; the black BG really makes them pop! The curving lines of the flower are also great. I see Richard's point on the red area to the left. Personally I think I would crop a bit from the left to help minimize that.

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Daniel,
I like both presentations and am not really partial to either. What I do find outstanding here is the focus point selected......just perfect! While I struggle with shallow DOF's .....i think if you went with more......it would lose some of it;s impact. It is the interplay between softness and colors that really makes this shine. Very well done!

Arthur Morris
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Yo Dan, From the thumbnail I thought that this was a close-up of a toucan's bill and that you were in the wrogn forum! Way cool with the bright colors and the black BKGR. I like both the ORIG and Richard's repost.

Nagesh Mula
06-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Its a beautiful picture Daniel and as quite rightly said by Randy, it gives you a painterly feeling. Great Job. Congratulations!!

Joseph Martines
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Have to agree with Anita - it is gorgeous.

The saturation is to my liking.

Thanks for sharing.

Stephen Stephen
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Lovely capture Dan. Greate curve on teh leadibng edge of the flower.

Jay Gould
06-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Gosh, when you have a great image to start with, the possibilities are endless!

Richard, the first image that came to my mind when I looked at your repost was the wide open mouth of a big bull elephant seal with his head thrown back. Thanks for taking the time and sharing. Cheers, Jay

Adrian David
06-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I love the colors, and the shape of the flower! Well done!