PDA

View Full Version : My first Hummer

Mike Tracy
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Just returned from a trip to Niagara Falls in search of the Peregrines that reside there but never laid eyes on them in spite of countless hours scanning the skies and cliffs.

Until Sunday I had never seen a Hummingbird in the wild. I picked up a feeder on the way back to my moms just to see if I could get lucky and lure one in. Within minutes this female came to feed. I had no idea they were so fast and had no idea what I was doing as I usually photograph large raptors,waders and sports.

I know this image doesn't compare to the Hummingbird photos posted here I have been in awe of but was happy with my initial effort in spite of the over exposed breast. I do like the spider web that is affixed to her beak that she uses to build the nest and elected to leave the little lichen that is falling.

Removed a portion of the feeder LLC

MKIII, EF500@1.4x, I/1000, f/6.3, ISO 1000, EC+2/3, tripod and wimberly head.

Randy Stout
06-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Mike:

Aren't they great! I have had many happy hours imaging these little guys.

I think this is a good start! Good position, feet out, spiderweb,HA. You mentioned the exposure.

With the feet out to land, people might wonder where is the perch, but I think cloning out the feeder was the best compromise. There is a little noise creeping into the darker areas of the BG.

Thanks for sharing. soon you will have feeders all over!

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Good start Mike!

Love the feet! they remind me The Flintstones. Nice BG. I would tone down the whites on throat. jc

Stu Bowie
06-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats on your first Mike. I like the landing posture, with the extended feet. Your own nit covered, and the spider web in the beak adds to the image. Well captured.

Mark Dumbleton
06-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Well done on the first! would love to be able to capture these birds! Like the open feet and wing pose!

Kobus Tollig
06-18-2009, 03:09 AM
You did well for a first. Great work. Ditto the nits but great pose and bg

Rick Dobson
06-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi Mike, cool and unusual capture. I have yet to try my luck with these little guys. But you've inspired me to take the feeder out of the garage.