PDA

View Full Version : Love you Mom

John Lowin
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
This image created in the Masi Mara, Kenya. Early morning light, hyena mother and pup showing affection. I also have images of this mother nursing her cubs. Spent a bit of time with them. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome. I'm here to learn. - John

Canon 1D Mk II
Canon 500mm F4.0 L USM IS AF Lens
Kinesis Safari Sack (Beanbag

Stu Bowie
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I would give my left... to visit the Masai Mara John. A tender moment, and although these guys are scavangers, and we dont hold much respect for them, they still need to do the parenting. Great sighting.

Harshad Barve
06-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Lovely moment captured

Harshad

Bill Jobes
06-17-2009, 08:37 PM
This is a really engaging moment nicely captured, John.
Some very minor suggestions: consider cloning out the white spot in the grassy shadow and the reed hotspot on the left side, as well as the dark spot in the bright grass to the right.
I happen to favor the present composition, with the shadows extending to the left.
A final observation; I wonder how it would look with just a slight increase in contrast.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I really like this shot too, and thought the same thing about an increase in contrast. Maybe some selective colour to the blacks and the neutrals of about +2 to +4 I think would increase the visual impact. But on the whole a truly tender moment captured even though these guys can be really vicious and unrelenting in a pack!

Alfred Forns
06-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I like the captured moment Sure looks tender !!! Would have made a neat natural vertical !!!

John Lowin
06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
I would give my left... to visit the Masai Mara John. A tender moment, and although these guys are scavangers, and we dont hold much respect for them, they still need to do the parenting. Great sighting.

Hi Stuart, Thanks for your comments. After three Kenyan safaris I can tell you that our feelings have changed re hyenas. True, they are vicious scavengers and we have certainly witnessed that. But they are incredible parents to their young. Seems like a contradiction, but it is amazing to observe.

Hope you make it to the Mara, it's magic! - John

John Lowin
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi John - sweet moment captured and this image looks ok with the shadows in it. I think you will get more out of this one cropping to vertical, centering the emotions. Beautiful light.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your comments. To tell you the truth, my first crop was a vertical, but I was positive that the comments would have been. "Should have made that a horizontal crop, would have been much better." Very difficult to second guess reactions among nature photographers. We all have strong opinions on how something should be shot. That's exactly why we have the wonderful variety of images in this great web site! - John

John Lowin
06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
This is a really engaging moment nicely captured, John.
Some very minor suggestions: consider cloning out the white spot in the grassy shadow and the reed hotspot on the left side, as well as the dark spot in the bright grass to the right.
I happen to favor the present composition, with the shadows extending to the left.
A final observation; I wonder how it would look with just a slight increase in contrast.

Hi Bill, Incorporated your suggestions. Like this better? - John

John Lowin
06-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks one and all for your comments. I appreciate them.

Todd Frost
06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
Good job on the repost. As mentioned sweet moment, I like it as presented but a vert would look good also.
Todd

Bill Jobes
06-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Wonderful, John! Thanks for taking the time to give it a go.

John Lowin
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Wonderful, John! Thanks for taking the time to give it a go.

My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words. - John

Sabyasachi Patra
06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
John,
Tender moment captured. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Danny Laredo
06-20-2009, 03:30 PM
John, such a sweet moment captured. Really nice.