PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes Lighthouses

Michael Pancier
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm looking to spent 3 days in either the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan (Door County) or the Michigan side Traverse, etc. this summer.

I want to photograph the lake lighthouses, but given the short amount of time, I can't decide which would yield best photo ops.

thoughts?

Robert LeHew
06-20-2009, 01:35 AM
You can't go wrong with the Wisconsin side of the lake. From Kewaunee north to the tip of the Door and back down the Bay side you'll have plenty of opportunities. Don't miss the Wisconsin state parks in Door county (there are four of them). They hold the real gem lighthouses. Plus take the ferry to Washington Island to get an inside look at a working lighthouse. Enjoy!

Michael Pancier
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
thanks Robert. I'll Map that out and see if it's doable

Mark Fuge
07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Get your reservations early ... Door County is full of Chitowners during the summer. Bumper to bumper until after Labor Day, literally. After that you need to make sure you have gas to get off the "Island". It's a long trip from Washington Island to the bridge. Few gas stations are open after Labor Day. I made many trips, with a few very quick getaways to the nearest gas station!! :eek:

Great place, but you definately won't be the only one there. ;)

You might want to stop in at the Packer Hall of Fame, in Titletown USA, to see the history of a great team! :cool:

Make A Great Day!

A Former/Still Cheesehead, stranded in the Sunshine state.

Michael Pancier
07-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Get your reservations early ... Door County is full of Chitowners during the summer. Bumper to bumper until after Labor Day, literally. After that you need to make sure you have gas to get off the "Island". It's a long trip from Washington Island to the bridge. Few gas stations are open after Labor Day. I made many trips, with a few very quick getaways to the nearest gas station!! :eek:

Great place, but you definately won't be the only one there. ;)

You might want to stop in at the Packer Hall of Fame, in Titletown USA, to see the history of a great team! :cool:

Make A Great Day!

A Former/Still Cheesehead, stranded in the Sunshine state.

Thanks Mark. Big difference in the weather huh? I'm just wondering if given my amount of time, this trip is do-able.....

Mark Fuge
07-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks Mark. Big difference in the weather huh? I'm just wondering if given my amount of time, this trip is do-able.....

Yup ... on the weather! We don't miss the -75 wind chill in January anymore, or running the snowblower through a 24" snowpack at the end of the driveway! :eek:

But Door County in spring and fall can be compared to the best there is anywhere! :cool: Summer is, as I noted, very crowded. Not to say you can't enjoy it. But you may not be able to stay on the "island". It is about a hour or so from Sturgeon Bay, on the south end of the "island". That would be the closest city to stay in, if you can't find accomodations in Door County itself.

I miss Wisconsin during the hurricane season, but not duing winter! :D

My recommendation would be to go for it, you will enjoy the experience, but don't go without reservations.

As for time, once on the "island" you can circle it in a few hours ... 4-5. If you spend 3 days there you will have plenty of time, if the weather cooperates. Both coasts are worth seeing. Green Bay has nice quaint villages and harbors, Lake Michigan has beaches and small settlements.

Finally, be advised that traffic can be worse than Miami during an evacuation. A normal hour drive in spring can be 2-3 hours in summer. There is only one road in and out of Door County, until you get to the loop about midway up. Everyone will be coming and going on the same road with you. Passing is a luxury that normally doesn't occur!

Mark Perry
08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Michael,

A member (Dick Edington) of my photography group (Midwest Photography Enthusiasts Group), MPEG recently
published a photographer's guide to the Great Lakes Lighthouses. http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/02497.htm

Dick's book has GPS coordinates, suggestions for best light, etc. in his book.

Mark

Michael Pancier
08-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Michael,

A member (Dick Edington) of my photography group (Midwest Photography Enthusiasts Group), MPEG recently
published a photographer's guide to the Great Lakes Lighthouses. http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/02497.htm

Dick's book has GPS coordinates, suggestions for best light, etc. in his book.

Mark

thanks for the link Mark. I opted for the desert, but this is on my agenda for a trip.