PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Bridge

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Cropped a bit top and right using the original aspect ratio.
40D
f 11
1/320s
ISO 100
Sigma 10- 20 @ 20
Tripod
Did some D/B of the clouds, waves, and boat.

Comments Appreciated.

David Thomasson
06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Classic view of a classic subject.

My first impulse was to correct the color cast. But when I tried it, I instantly preferred your version, which
has a sort of Renaissance feel to it. At least for my tastes, this is a good illustration of when not to fix a color
cast. In fact, if it didn't have a cast out of the camera, I would add one with a warming filter. Very nice, Jackie.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8550/bridger.jpg

Paul Marcellini
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I agree I like the cast. As far as comp I would have gotten lower to minimize the blank mid ground and tried to get off the 50/50 split horizon. Also the lower rocks seem cut-off to me. I like having the sailboat there though.

Roman Kurywczak
06-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Jackie,
Like the warmer tones too. Like Paul, I am not fond of the Rock on the right but the sailboat is a nice plus. I have debated this one as a horizontal.....as the middle ground is pretty dominant.....but feel the line of the bridge is nice as presented. This may have been one of those times to throw on the polariser.....crank it to f22 or higher.....and slow the SS down to try and capture the wave action. May not have been enough (guessing 1/10sec) of the slowdown considering the setting you were already at.....butworth looking into next time you have a chance.

Jackie Schuknecht
06-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the critiques, it is tough to get a really good landscape shot. Great points covered, i.e. getting lower, and maybe a 3 stop Grad filter to get some wave action. Thanks so much!

Robert Amoruso
06-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the critiques, it is tough to get a really good landscape shot. Great points covered, i.e. getting lower, and maybe a 3 stop Grad filter to get some wave action. Thanks so much!

That's the ticket Jackie to put this type of image over the top. I do like the sailboat, though small it balances the bridge and provides visual interest on the right otherwise missing w/o it. Nice work.

Dave Mills
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Jackie, I feel the image would have been stronger if the sailboat would have been located between the bridge and the rock and not been all the way to the right...

Jackie Schuknecht
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree Dave, thanks I never thought of that.

David Thomasson
06-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Interesting composition question of where to put the boat. I don't offer this as a Cartesian proof, but merely as an illustration of how my eye sees the lines in this image and finds a place where the boat feels about right.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5828/bridge.gif

Jackie Schuknecht
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Spot on, thanks so much David!

Morkel Erasmus
06-19-2009, 03:26 PM
interesting to see the ideas flying. for me the bridge is a strong line, and I would have just preferred less cloud and more sky (what can you do?!) have you thought about saturating a bit more? just a tad?