PDA

View Full Version : Piping Plover

Bob Malbon
06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
http://www.bobmalbonphoto.com/img/v0/p1035449989-4.jpg

This is from late on Tuesday here in Maine. Look like only 2 nest this season at Goose Rocks Beach - a 3rd failed.
The Plover Wardens have their hands full between people and predators on the nesting grounds. Birds are still on eggs as of the 16th. 1dmk3 on 500 f4 at iso400, 1/1600, f7.1, AIservo, Manual Exp. - Hand held. Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Randy Stout
06-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Bob:

Your plover is sharp, well exposed, nice shooting angle. The light angle was a bit to your right, which does result in the shadowing of face and breast. I wish the head was turned just a bit more our way, and that would have helped handle the light angle.

I feel like it may need some CCW rotation, although he probably was standing on a little hill?

Thanks for sharing the image and info.

Randy

Mital Patel
06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
bob this is a spectacular shot.
I would have added bit more room to the left and few point CCW rotation (Not for base but for bird).

Grace Scalzo
06-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Usually I prefer the subject to have a bit more room in the frame, but I think that this composition works well, maybe because of that nice blue background which frames him. I do wish that the front of his head wasn't in shadow, and I'd run a bit of nr on the bg. Really fun little birds to photograph! (At my local beach, out of three nests, there appear to be only two surviving chicks.)

Christopher C.M. Cooke
06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Bob, the only thing I would have liked is more room around the bird as it fills the frame so much as to appear larger than it is.

Other than that I love it.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-17-2009, 09:46 AM
I like the eye contact and setting and might sharpen the head a bit more. I might also lighten the eye a bit. Too bad there are not more breeding pairs this year.

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2009, 12:46 PM
nice and sharp - lovely exposure. doesn't need rotation for me since you can see the bird is right on the shoreline.

Stu Bowie
06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Well exposed, with lovely detail Bob. I like the colours on him, and bit more space on the left will work.