PDA

View Full Version : White Tail Fawn

Stephen Stephen
02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I created this image last June. It was my first opportunity to photograph a white-tail fawn. Two friends and I were passing the same stretch of one of our city's nature trails for the third time when we spotted this little one.

I would have liked a lower angle but the undergrowth wouldn't cooperate. I've just noticed that a couple of the leaves are overexposed. Overall though I'm pleased with my first time with this beautiful young one.

Rebel XT, Sigma 50-500mm. and Image cropped to about 60% of full frame

ExposureTime - 1/50 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 137 mm

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Mammals/FAWN1.jpg

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Very nice, I like the image, hope you dont mind me doing a quick white balance on your image and reposting?

Hot spots are one of things you have to deal with when shooting under the canopy.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Stephen,

You did a nice job here and with Robert's white balance fix, it looks great. I might brighten it a bit and as you mentioned you could work the hot spots to get them under control.

Stephen Stephen
02-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Thank you Robert. The adjusted white balance really improves the colours. I see how my original had too much of a greenish tinge. How do you suggest to adjust white balance in images like these where the subject is partly in daylight and partly in shadow?

My thanks also to Robert A. for taking the time to comment.

D. Robert Franz
02-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Very nice image here.. A few distracting elements but not bad considering where you were working.. Roberts version is very good..

Robert O'Toole
02-06-2008, 01:31 AM
[QUOTE=Stephen Stephen;26113]Thank you Robert. The adjusted white balance really improves the colours. I see how my original had too much of a greenish tinge. How do you suggest to adjust white balance in images like these where the subject is partly in daylight and partly in shadow?

QUOTE]

You are welcome Stephen,

That tye situation is always tough.
I try to set the correct WB in the RAW conversion but its not always possible or convenient. If the image has a full range of tones I like to use an average white balance to remove color casts. I covered this as a tip in my Dec newsletter, here is the link:
http://aptats.com/newsletter_7.html
Let me know if you need any help with it. Give it a try.

Robert