PDA

View Full Version : This one is for John

Randy Stout
06-16-2009, 06:45 PM
One of my oldest hobbies is motorcycling. I went to our local show this weekend. Held at a car muesum set in the country, with all the cars in restored barns. Wonderful place. This Velocette was on display, and since John rides a Velocette, thought he might get a chuckle out of it.

Hard to get a clean shot of these, or to control your lighting! But, still beautiful machines.

Cheers

Randy

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Look at that!
Beautiful machine.

John Chardine
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Fabulous Randy. Thanks so much! The bike you found was a "cammy" Velo (overhead camshaft), probably a 350cc KSS mkI (but I'd to confirm this ID). Very desirable and very fast for it's time! Love the hand shifter and reversed levers. The bike behind the KSS is similar to mine- looks like a late model Venom with fairing. Attached is an image of mine- you can see how close they are. Mine's lower compression than the Venom. I plan to make some better images of the bikes soon, with controlled lighting but this one will do for now. Note the trademark "fishtail" silencers and also the way the ride is adjusted at the rear (a Velo first).

Great stuff!

Alfred Forns
06-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Impressive They sure were different designs back then ... now all look about the same !!!

John Chardine
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
You've hit the nail on the head Alfred! Although anything with 2 wheels is fine by me, it's the older ones that really grab the attention. Amazing thing with all that is going on with the car industry these days, but when the Velo that Randy photographed was made (1929) there were over 300 brands of motorcycle made in Britain alone! They were the world leaders by a huge margin in those days.

Gus Cobos
06-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Impressive machine Randy...very nice...:cool:

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Great capture of some awesome machinery. I do not know much about these bikes but sure can appreciate their beauty. Thanks for sharing Randy.

Kerry Perkins
06-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Absolutely awesome! I love the expansion chambers on the exhausts also. My hat's off to anyone who rides these vintage machines! Do you carry an anchor for stopping? Not much in the way of brakes!

Tony Whitehead
06-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks for sharing these. Motorcycles, photography and fishing are my incurable illnesses:D:D. My wife fortunately tolerates all 3.