PDA

View Full Version : A Break From Poppies

Aidan Briggs
06-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm taking a break from poppies right now, so I thought I'd post this one. I don't know what species this is, so any help would be appreciated.

50D, 60mm macro,
1/200, f/2.8, ISO 400

Randy Stout
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Aidan:

The converging lines here are lovely, really draws you in to the yellow. The DOF really isolates the yellow as well.

The brightness is just right for me.

I am curious if you shot anymore in this series with greater DOF? I would be curious about how the image flows with more DOF. When I have a chance to take multiple shots, I love to work various apertures to play with the effect.

Thanks for sharing!!

Randy

Aidan Briggs
06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Randy, I don't have any with more DOF. I didn't have my tripod for this shot, and I didn't want to go to a slower shutter speed. Now that you mention it though, I will have to experiment with greater DOF in the future. When it comes to macro, I shoot mostly abstracts, and I usually don't even consider going smaller than f/4.

Richard Lovison
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
I like this image as presented with its soft hues and shallow depth of field... I like where the sharpest points of focus are distributed. Beautiful.

Julie Kenward
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Lovely image, Aidan. I think you did an outstanding job on those yellows...they are sumptuous! I like the DOF but I'm like you...macros for me are wide open. I'm not sure on the i.d. of the plant but the leaves make me think of a wild yellow violet. How big was the flower?

Aidan Briggs
06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Julie, the flower was pretty small; the circumference was probably about the size of a quarter. There were a bunch of them in the shade next to a patch of clovers. I think these might be the flowers of some sort of common weed, but I have no clue to what they are.

Thanks.

Anita Bower
06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Beautiful job. I like the yellow and how the anthers almost seem to float. Beautiful lines.

Aidan Briggs
06-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Well I finally figured out the species. This is a Bermuda Buttercup, an invasive exotic from Africa.