PDA

View Full Version : Calico Pennant

Mike Fuhr
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
These dragonflies rarely seem to land (at least when I'm trying to photograph them). I was happy just to get a shot the other day -- he cooperated for about 3 or 4 minutes. I'll keep trying for something with a less distracting bg. C and C welcome.

Nikon D50
100-300mm F/4
280 mm
F/7.1
1/250
ISO 200
Tripod used

Randy Stout
06-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Mike:

Lovely dragon fly, with great colors.

The head and thorax are a little soft. Do you know where you focus point was? My guess would be on the rear wing or abdomen.

Yes, as you pointed out, the BG is a bit distracting. You could tone it down a bit. The transperancy of the wings makes that trickier to do the selection and not having the brigher area show through the wings!

Keep chasing him!

Randy

Julie Kenward
06-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I totally agree with Randy - the head has definite softness to it and you might try next time to get lighting so that both eyes either do or don't have catchlights.

You did get nice detail on most of the insect and you're definitely on the right track. These guys are pesky little bugers but be patient...they almost always relight on the same plant so be patient and wait...

Anita Bower
06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I know the BG should bother me, but somehow, it doesn't, maybe because it is a different color from the dragonfly. I like it a lot. I just noticed the red hearts going down the back!