PDA

View Full Version : 5D2: need microphone +flash on hot shoe

Roger Clark
06-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi,
I finally started using the video on my 5DII this weekend at my son's wedding (I did practice before the actual wedding). I must say the HD 1080P video is outstanding quality. At night in a room with very dim light (exposure was about 1/3 second at iso 1600 f/4 without a flash), the video is still very impressive using available light. But I kept switching between still images with flash and HD video with available light. The problem with the 5DII is one needs an external microphone so the IS motor isn't recorded. I used a microphone on an isolation mount that fits in the hot shoe. But then I have to take it off to mount the flash. Does anyone know of a way to mount two things on one hot shoe? The microphone does not need electrical contact. Or, maybe a hot shoe plate I could super glue onto the flash? If so, does anyone know where I can get such a plate?

Thanks,
Roger

Michael Pancier
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
roger, how about using a flash bracket? you can use the real hot shoe for flash and bracket for the mic.

Roger Clark
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Michael,
Yes, I suppose a flash bracket would work. I was hoping for something lighter.

David Kennedy
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Roger,
Which mic are you using? The Rode VideoMic or the Sennheiser equivalent, or somethign else entirely?

In any event, I agree with Michael that the bracket would be a good idea. I saw this on Cinema 5D a while back and thought it was a clever use of the Wimberley flash bracket mounted on an RRS L-bracket on the body (http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1338&p=11721&hilit=flash+bracket+microphone#p11721).

Roger Clark
06-18-2009, 10:27 PM
David,
I have an Axden SMX-10, like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444022-REG/Azden_SMX_10_SMX_10_Stereo_Microphone.html
except the interface to the camera hot shoe is a different rubber isolation mount. It worked quite well. I do have the Wimberly flash bracket system so I can use that if I do not fine something lighter.

Roger

David Kennedy
06-18-2009, 10:50 PM
David,
I have an Axden SMX-10, like this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/444022-REG/Azden_SMX_10_SMX_10_Stereo_Microphone.html
except the interface to the camera hot shoe is a different rubber isolation mount. It worked quite well. I do have the Wimberly flash bracket system so I can use that if I do not fine something lighter.

Roger

Cool--that's actually quite reasonable. At school (Missouri School of Journalism) I was using the Rode mics with my 5D, but I need to invest in one for myself. How do you like the sound from the Axden mic? Do you get any "hiss" with it?

Sorry for derailing the point of your original post!!!

Jay Gould
06-19-2009, 02:14 AM
David, thank for the idea about the L bracket. Aren't they pretty much camera body specific because of the opening on the side?

Would this bracket from Adorama solve the problem?

Of course, this does eliminate the use of a tripod. Roger, is that an issue when using the 5D2 to do grab videos?

Seems the handle would help with controlling the body while shooting video.

Roger Clark
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Jay,
I have an L-bracket like that (bought long ago for an video camera). But on my 5D2 I use a Wimberly plate for quick mounting on a tripod with a wimberly clamp. So I need the device that attaches to the wimberly plate (I have one--it's attached to my 500 mm). I'll just have to buy more flash bracket attachments. I need one for the 300 anyway.

David,
On the Axden SMX-10 microphone, I bought it for a canon HD video camera a year ago and didn't really know what I was getting. It performs fine on the video camera. I've only shot video on the 5D2 for less than a week. Indoors there is no hiss unless you turn the volume up very high. Outdoors with no apparent wind it did sound like there was some hiss with the 5D2 when the volume was at a comfortable level for nearby voices. There was no wind, so I will have to investigate this more, as I do not recall that problem on a canon HD video camera. The hiss is not the IS motor--that is isolated very well. The internal 5D2 microphone is useless if you run IS. And boy does the IS help when holding the camera for a few minutes, even at wide angle.

Roger