PDA

View Full Version : Ridges in B&W

Todd Frost
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Don't get over here often. Envisioned and taken in b/w mode.
D200, 28-105 @80, 1/750, f6.3, iso100, awb.

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
06-16-2009, 03:01 AM
I love this Todd! the v-shaped foreground leads the eye nicely to the mountains - and they create good depth into infinity. The eagle in the tree is a bonus!

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Agree on the V shape. The other thing is that the V mimics the mountain peaks as well so good comp on those two accounts. Depth in the image displayed well due to the affect of the atmosphere.

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Hey Todd,
I really like atmosphere images and this is no exception. I like the way you composed it. I did play around with cropping the entire tree on the right edge out and to just above the main central clouds.....and even though I liked it.....as presented is fine also so just given to you for checking out yourself. I would like to see a bit more depth in the mountain layers so tweaking a few adjustments may do just that. Overall nicely composed and nice choice in the B&W conversion.

David Thomasson
06-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Wonderful combination of layers and forms. I agree with Roman about getting a bit more depth out of the layers. One way -- and I think this comes within the bounds of artistic license -- is to darken the first layer (after the "V") just enough to set it off from those beyond it.

Animated gif ...

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2104/layers.gif

Dave Mills
06-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice touch with the image David. Darkening the foreground mountain definately adds interest and contrast. There are some crop variations on the left and right that can work with the image also...

Jackie Schuknecht
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Like the layers in this and I think the darkening of the mountain makes it even more appealing and presents more tonalities and interest.

Todd Frost
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions they are much appreciated. David, your little tweak greatly improves this image and I thank you.
P.S For those of you that haven't seen Davids site you are missing out on some very good ps work.

Todd

Paul Marcellini
06-16-2009, 05:52 PM
SOme great tips already. Once again, David show's a great way to take it up a notch. I like the comp and the bw works, and with those layers, hard to go wrong. Well done.