PDA

View Full Version : Light painting #2

Randy Stout
06-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, finally got my computer working a bit better. Here is the same rhody as before, taken about 4 hours later, in the dark.

All the light this time was provided by the LED flashlight. It is interesting that since the previous picture another blossom started to open, which ruins the symmetry a bit, but I still thought it was interesting enough to post.

The framing is off just a bit, didn't notice it when taking picture in the dark!

D700 Sigma 180 f/3.5 macro at f/25 10 second exposure, ISO 1250 Gitzo, Wimberley V2

Comments always appreciated. Having fun, trying something different.

I have some much wilder ones that I might post.

Randy

Julie Kenward
06-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Randy, this feels really dark to me (even though I know that was where the photo was created!) I opened a levels adjustment and pulled the white tones to 240 and the midtones to 1.16. It's a slight difference - not sure if you'll like it better or not considering the goal of shooting it in the dark but I thought it was worth a look.

I'll say one thing...shooting this in the dark lost a bit of the glow of the white area but it sure did make those dark colors luminous...have you thought about combining the best of both images??? :)

Anita Bower
06-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I like Jules' version a bit better. I also like the dark BG. Look forward to more experiments.

Daniel Belasco
07-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I do like the extra green leaves that can be seen better with the second version.
Otherwise both are fine.