PDA

View Full Version : Eared Grebe (I Think)

Jeff Cashdollar
06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
I am new to this forum. I have spent the last 14 months in the ETL forum, looking forward to your support and friendship.

I saw this Eared Grebe diving near the shore line of a Middle Tn lake, It must be a vagrant?

Techs:
Canon 40D
Canon 400MM 5.6
HH
Morning light
f/5.6
1/2000
ISO=400
BB (-3)

Workflow:
LRII (small crop, minor push to histogram maybe +1/3)----auto interface---CS4 (change WB to cloudy, noise reduction, smart sharpen and auto levels adjustment)

The light was slightly in front of subject so I was thinking about a silhouette. This baby was so beautiful, I strapped on the BB, dialed in -3 and went for it.

Alfred Forns
06-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Jeff .... you been holding out on us at ETL ... didn't pose anything like this one !!!!

First of all its a pleasing image and love that eye !!! Might need a little room at the bottom in case his legs are stretch out !!! Love the bg water with the wave action and color !!

Bird is well exposed and sharp plus managed some detail in the shadows !!! Excellent capture and don't be a stranger over at our place :)

Dave Leroy
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Lovely looking photo Jeff. Good to see you giving that lense a good work out. I like how you handled the colours. Dave

Jeff Cashdollar
06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks Dave, you need one more post real fast (smile).

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Nicely exposed bird Jeff. :) THe water is a little bright, though the contrast works for me (compared to the bird). If you would lose about half the space above it would be probably stronger (IMHO) and as Al said a touch more space below for those virtual feet.
Overall, quite lovely. Your progress is fantastic mate! :)

Gyorgy Szimuly
06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
A warm welcome to you as stepping a bit forward :)
Nice image. Love the rough water and despite the unpleasant light conditions you managed the capture well.
Would add a selective sharpening to the eye.

Szimi