PDA

View Full Version : The flower and the sea

Kyle Marie Barcelos
06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought this would be a nice picture. I wish the sky was more blue, but the flowers really stand out for me. I did crop some of the sky out. All C&C Welcome.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3623/3629489545_a507dbbf2e_b.jpg

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Tv 1/125
Av 14.0
ISO 200
EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Focal Length 70.0 mm

Paul Marcellini
06-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I like the pano aspect to this. The sky could be a bit punchier, a grad neutral density filter would help there and maybe a polarizer. The foreground feels a bit chopped, but I don't know if you were trying to exclude something. Better light would help the scene but I think you did well with the light given.

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Kyle,

I like the juxtaposition of the beach flowers and ocean but would have like to see more of the flowers and less BG.

I reposted a new crop - more pano - and used selective color layer to add black to the black, white, blue and cyan channels and removed magenta and yellow due to the magenta cast in the sky. Still some magenta cast in the sky but best to do these types of corrections on the Tiff. I probably went a bit too much in the blue, but just trying to give you some ideas.

To me the flowers are the star of the image and giving them more coverage would be my suggestion. I do like how you chose a diagonal line of the flowers as that adds dynamics to the image.

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi Kyle,
Very good avice given above. Roberts blue while strong.....makes it look like the tropics almost! The filters Paul mentioned are invaluble in these situations especially the polariser in this case.
I always stress to people to observe and make note on how the light changes during the course of the day..even if you do this with your flowers at home....some scenes simply become magical as the light changes and gets lower on the horizon......that is why we are always drawn to sunrises and sunsets. I hope you get another chance to re-visit this at another time to possibly explore that.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
06-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the advise, I do have a polariser filter but my brain never thinks to put it on. Thanks Robert for making it look like i live at a tropical place, too bad it's good old New England LOL I do visit this place a lot so I will try to do different shots with the sunset or rise. Thanks again everyone :)

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Kyle,

I am from Middletown, RI so I know that your image is true to the scene. :) I did like the way the colors on the green plants looked after I tweaked it around some.

Looking forward to some images from your next trip there.