PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Wildlife opportunities in Key West?

jpons
06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Folks,

I am going to key west for 5 days this thursday for a family event. I have very little knowledge of the area, but I suspected there may be some great locations for some wildlife shooting.

I was wondering if folks here had knowledge of the area and could suggest some locations.

Much appreciated, thanks!

-J

Michael Pancier
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Juan, Key West itself is more geared to people photography rather than wildlife. The Key Deer National Sanctuary is about 20 miles north of there, and it's a hit or miss if you're gonna see any. They usually come out at night.

During migration, you do come across different species out there, but not season right now. North of Key West, you can spot frigatebirds and osprey, but no set locations.

Probably the best location, is the Dry Tortugas, but that's an expensive day trip, but worth it if you have the time.

Just north of Key West mm 10-15, there are a lot of mud flats and protected areas for birds, but I've never seen anything productive there.

In KW, there is Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park; on weekends, it gets crowded with mountain bikers and beach goers, but there are some nice areas there to explore. Again, for wildlife, I've not seen much. If you have a boat, there are several off shore island rookeries, but I couldn't help you with any specific location. I've found the upper and middle keys more productive, but it's a good drive, unless you have the time.

Bahia Honda State Park about 35 minutes north is a good location where you should find something. It's one of the larger parks. Very scenic and lots of birds there esp. during migration. But nothing guaranteed obviously.

Richard Peters
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
When I was in the Keys last year it was just after Hurricane Ike and been along. We went to key West on the day it re-opened and as you can imagine there wasn't much going on! Even the couple of national parks we stopped at in the Keys were pretty much devoid of wildlife at the time :(

I wish you better luck than I had... :)

jpons
06-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Folks,

You have confirmed my suspicions... Like I said this trip is for a family event, but I want to try to make the best of it photographically if I can... If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it... so far it looks like my 500 and big tripod are staying home.

-J

Richard Peters
06-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Any chance of a quick stop off in the Everglades whilst your out that way?

Michael Pancier
06-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Folks,

You have confirmed my suspicions... Like I said this trip is for a family event, but I want to try to make the best of it photographically if I can... If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it... so far it looks like my 500 and big tripod are staying home.

-J

take a travel tripod. You have a nice lighthouse in key west. (morning shot) a challenge to get a good shot.

the evening on Duval has some great people photography esp. outside the bars; great sunset shots at mallory square and sunset pier, or atop the Hotel LaConcha

plus the spots I mentioned earlier.

Alfred Forns
06-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Juan

The keys deer is a worth trip and only 18 miles. The turn is at Sugarloaf Key. On the way in there is a bat tower sort of neat to photograph and the deer are usually there late afternoon... with kids around they will show up !!!

In and around town there are lots of photo opportunities, make sure to visit Hemingway's house and see the kitty cats !!! Will be fun !!!