PDA

View Full Version : One Open, and One Opening

John Lowin
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
This is a primary hybrid, meaning that it is a cross of two specie orchids, and not the cross of already existing hybrids. This is Paphiopedilum Shireen, a cross of Paphiopedilum philippinense X Paphiopedilum glaucophyllum. I find it challenging photographing a multiple blossom slipper type orchid. One blossom invariably hides the other. So although the issue is apparent, I chose to create this image while the second blossom was in the process of opening so you could observe the sequence. Window light with a white card reflector was used to light this photo. The Callus is naturally waxy and glossy and not flash reflection. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn - John

f/32 1.6s ISO 640 MLU
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

John Lowin
06-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Here is a CU of the blossoms. Same specs as before - John

Julie Kenward
06-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Although I like the composition of the first post the close-up of the second one blows me away. I love seeing all the tiny details in these flowers...they are such a sight to behold!

Mike Moats
06-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey John, really nice details, colors, and love both comps. Well done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Wow, the second repost is really good. The details are amazing. I will have to get my self on of those 100mm macro lens!

Anita Bower
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
I love the close up! Being able to see all the hairs, lines, details. Like both, actually. This is the first of your photos in which the partial inclusion of leaves bothers me--the top leaf going out of the frame on the right. I'm still wishing for a different BG to highlight these fabulous Orchids and your excellent photography.

Joseph Martines
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Macro and orchids seem synonymous to me.

Lovely presentation.

Number 2 works better for me.

Thanks for sharing.