View Full Version : Caracara on Fence Post

WIlliam Maroldo
06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Sony A700~Sony70-400G@400mm~1/125sec~ISO400~f5.6 5-2-09
CS4, Topaz Clean2
comments welcomed. regards~Bill

Fabs Forns
06-14-2009, 05:04 PM
This is very beautiful, Bill, but what's out of the box here?

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Ditto Fabs, and what is Topaz Clean 2. Loverly image and BKGR. Sharp with soft, soft light.

denise ippolito
06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Bill, It's a beautiful Crested Caracara image and I also am wondering what is OOTB about it.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm glad you liked the image! The reason it is here because the relatively new(a month or two old) Topaz 2, a smoothing and detail enhancing program, was used. I just messaged Fabs, about her question, and her answer was that if a plugin was used it does put it in this category. However, this does present a problem for me, in that occasionally I will use plugins for normal post processing. Let me give you an example. Topaz Adjust has a fine detail preset that has a similar effect to multiply, yet is easier to use. The full blown effect does create an obviously "out of the box" image, but using fade last command keeps it from, IMO, going there. As a matter of fact, I use "fade last command" alot anyway.
I might add that I use plugins, such as Topaz Adjust and Clean 2, to enhance images, and not to "resurrect" images. As in this image here, the lighting was excellent (light overcast), and no plugin will cover up poor lighting. Also, enhancing details will not happen if they do not exist in the image already. So the key is start off with a pretty good image. regards~Bill

denise ippolito
06-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Bill, Thankyou for your honesty with the image and sharing the effect!!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Nice treatment William, it looks sharp and soft at the same time. Would make a lovely print. Will have to check out Topaz Clean!

Julie Kenward
06-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Bill this is really beautiful. I also use plug ins occasionally and my rule of thumb is if it doesn't look "processed" then I put it in the regular forum and fess up to what was used; if it does look "processed" then it goes in OOTB. I think this could fit either but I do think you chose the right place. It does have just a hint of something being done although excellent technique because it is barely visible!