PDA

View Full Version : Tripod & Water? Maintenance tips?

PeterGruener
02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi,

as for the first time my tripods might get into salty water pretty soon I wonder if there tips from the experienced photographers here that might help me to get my tripods from being ruined.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

PS: If this is the wrong category please apologize.

Doug West
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi,

as for the first time my tripods might get into salty water pretty soon I wonder if there tips from the experienced photographers here that might help me to get my tripods from being ruined.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

PS: If this is the wrong category please apologize.

When I was down in Florida, James Shadle taught me to wipe the tripod down,
especially the legs as soon as you get home. I used a damp cloth.

I then took apart all of the legs. Dumped out the salt water that accumulated inside
the legs. Wiped the legs down again with a damp cloth. This included the bushings
and cleaning those as well.

I let those dry over night.

Then I reattched everything.

I can't remember what it was (James knows), but there was a certain grease he
used on the threads, the name escapes me.

If you don't get the salt water off, it'll eat away the inside of your legs. Then when
you least expect it, one of your legs will come right out (probably with your full gear
attached).

When I got home, I purchased some replacement bushings from naturescapes.net
since the price was cheap and figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

Doug

Robert O'Toole
02-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Good thread peter.

For the last few months I have been testing plastic waterproof leg covers, thanks to James Schadle, they have saved me a lot of time since I have used them in salt water 5 times now without a drop touching the tripod legs. As far as I know the covers should be available soon.

You have to rinse the Gitzos each time you use them in salt water or as Doug mentioned the leg(S) will corrode, rot, and fall off. Also once Gitzo sees salt corrision they will not warrantly the tripod, at least they didnt warranty the last unit I sent in. The legs are glued in place, the salt eats and corrodes the glue, they you can lose a leg(s).

Robert

Alfred Forns
02-03-2008, 10:20 PM
You should use graphite grease on the legs !!!!

The covers Robert mentions should be on the market soon Modifications are being made to the bottom (re-enforcing) Mine has leaked but Robert pointed out my covers for the end of the tripod are gone which make them sharper It think that is causing the water leakage Roberts are fine and he has not had leaking problems

Once you immerse a tripod in salt water (like we all do) it will never work as smooth as it did when new !!!! Can't wait to get more of the covers !!!!

Chris Ober
02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
I've always used lithium grease on mine. Does graphite work better?

PeterGruener
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips so far. I found a nice article about maintaining your tripd here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/082004/gd0804.htm

Peter

Steve Bein
02-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I own a Dutch Hill. There are no vulnerable clutches to have problems with. Just hose it off after using.They are two section tripods. Great for driving and local, but a bit difficult if you fly with them since they do not collapse much. Mine is the taller version. I will sell it since I have been flying more and it is not convenient. All carbon fiber, solid and carbon fiber and stainless steel clutch, so no swelling like the Gitzo's/
Steve

John Obenaus
02-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I had my carbon pod in salt water for the first time last month and never again. This tripod maintenance is a foreign word to me and I was not amused having to strip down a tripod to get the salt out and still watching some of the bolts begin to form rust regardless. I have an old aluminum monfrotto pod that has been used for those purposes and has never been taken apart in 10 years and cleaning consists of a garden hose in the back yard.....a way more humane form of maintenance :) My suggestion would be find an old monfrotto somewhere.