PDA

View Full Version : Bridal Veil Falls

Jackie Schuknecht
06-14-2009, 12:26 PM
This is the classic view of Yosemite and nothing original in the shot, but I like it. Slight crop from bottom and right using the original aspect ratio.
Canon 40D
Sigma 10-20
f 22
1/60 s
-1 EV Evaluative
400 ISO
Tripod
I originally posted in ETL with my laptop, so now home I am using Photoshop and my desktop which I am more comfortable with.

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Jackie, I love the clouds and the COMP but have never been a fan of uneven light.... The tallest tree, foreground right and the titled one next to it draw the viewer's eye.

Morkel Erasmus
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
very pleasing comp indeed. ditto the light but I've taken many in these situations - often that's the only time you could get there and you don't know when you'll get the opportunity again if it's not your occupation to travel to these locations - so you take what's on offer until next time. :)

Robert Amoruso
06-16-2009, 05:34 AM
I have been to this place many times and you always get something different with regards to the light and this is no exception. I think you have enough detail in the shadows and the highlights look well exposed. The clouds are dynamic and have the same lean as El Capitan and the peaks about the falls.

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi Jackie,
Been there quite a few times myself and it can be frustrating as the window for the light is usually very small. I'm not loving the mixed light but like Robert I am OK with it as you do have excellent FG details. You also had some great clouds and the comp you chose here is a bit different than the usual and handled nicely IMO. You may have been better off with the light about 1 hour earlier as then most of El Caps face and the falls would have been lit a bit more and strengthened the LH side. Distant Half Dome is probably shadowed by a cloud and that is why it's not popping a bit more.......but considering the difficulty you had........this is a nicely composed and exposed image......not wow super......that was a bit out of your control with the clouds......but still very nice nevertheless.

Dave Mills
06-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Jackie, agree with Roman on the timing but you handled the image well with the lighting you had!

Jackie Schuknecht
06-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks Dave and everyone for commenting, I always value your opinions!

Mitchell Krog
06-25-2009, 03:20 AM
We also have a Bridal Veil falls here in South Africa but yours are MUCH nicer :D Now I know where we probably stole the name from. I agree with the crits above but still a very nice photo.