PDA

View Full Version : Post a histogram

wendell westfall
06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I would like to know how to copy a histogram of an image in Lightroom and post it in a forum. I see this done occasionally but do not know how it is accomplished. I'd appreciate a "lesson" on this.

Thanks,
Wendell

William Malacarne
06-16-2009, 10:47 AM
There may be other ways but this is one I know of. Assuming you are using windows. Open your picture in LR library and then use alt + print screen, this will put it on your clipboard. Open up photoshop and use new file. Click ctrl + v and this will copy the clipboard to the photoshop window. Use the crop tool and crop out the histogram.

Hope this helps
Bill

wendell westfall
06-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Bill . . . exactly what i wanted to know.

Jay Gould
06-16-2009, 03:08 PM
SnagIt: This will be the best $50 you have EVER spent: http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

This program will capture anything - even images on websites where the creator has instituted controls so that when you attempt to capture it pops up with "copyright".

Once set up - I keep it active in my tray I use it so often - I simply open Snag-It and capture the image I want. I save it as a .jpg, I can instantly copy it to an html email or a word document, or post it here like any other image and then voila:

???

:o Oops! what is this new Attachments Pending Approval?

Cheers, Jay

wendell westfall
06-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Jay, I heard of Snagit one time awhile back, but never checked it out. Sounds good. I'll take a look on your recommendation . . . 'preciate you reply . . .

John Chardine
06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
If you are a Mac user "Grab" comes free with the system and allows you to copy a window, whole screen or selection to the clipboard and thence to Photoshop.

Mark Fuge
06-17-2009, 04:28 AM
SnagIt: This will be the best $50 you have EVER spent: http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

This program will capture anything - even images on websites where the creator has instituted controls so that when you attempt to capture it pops up with "copyright".

Once set up - I keep it active in my tray I use it so often - I simply open Snag-It and capture the image I want. I save it as a .jpg, I can instantly copy it to an html email or a word document, or post it here like any other image and then voila:

???

Cheers, Jay

Jay,

Are you promoting internet capture for personal use? You may want to talk to Fabs, and others here, before inplementing that practice! Especially on other's websites...

Jay Gould
06-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Jay,

Are you promoting internet capture for personal use? You may want to talk to Fabs, and others here, before inplementing that practice! Especially on other's websites...

Absolutely not!

What have I said that promotes internet capture for personal use?

I have answered a question how to simply post a histogram by referral to a commercial product that does that very simply. The fact that the product also can be used for illegal purposes is not under my control, and I do not advocate that it be used to violate anyone's copyright.

For those that are concerned about internet capture - better the devil they know than the devil they don't know - and by knowing that the devil exists perhaps they can guard against the capture.

Anyone who plays the ostrich with their head in the sand and suggests that you shouldn't distribute knowledge about an existing product is ignoring the existence of reality - not me!

The program SnagIt is produced by TechSmith, a very well know international company.

Blake Shadle
06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
If you're interested in capturing any visible element on your display (if you're a Windows user) click Prt Sc <Print Screen>. Open up PS and crop what you want. Best part about it is that it's free ;)

Mark Fuge
06-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Absolutely not!

What have I said that promotes internet capture for personal use?

I have answered a question how to simply post a histogram by referral to a commercial product that does that very simply. The fact that the product also can be used for illegal purposes is not under my control, and I do not advocate that it be used to violate anyone's copyright.

For those that are concerned about internet capture - better the devil they know than the devil they don't know - and by knowing that the devil exists perhaps they can guard against the capture.

Anyone who plays the ostrich with their head in the sand and suggests that you shouldn't distribute knowledge about an existing product is ignoring the existence of reality - not me!

The program SnagIt is produced by TechSmith, a very well know international company.

No problem Jay, I was just reinterating what we both posted earlier on another board, regarding Fab's stolen image.

There are a lot of programs out there that offer things that maybe would be better unoffered. Realize that they have other uses. But with the pirating on the site ... :(

I also have an easier way I do it for a quick capture, for images we discuss here. I just right click on the image, save and open in Elements. Then I can crop, adjust and save for web use, so I can repost the changes here. All images I do take are distroyed in my files after the intended purpose. I have no interest in using others images.

We both got our info out. Nothing personal Jay. Just wish they would come up with a useful program for sealing the images when desired. But that is not an option, only programs to capture and use. :(

Make A Great Day! ;)

Chris Ober
06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Check out free Zscreen - http://brandonz.net/projects/zscreen/index.html

Arthur Morris
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Jay, Mark is right-oon with his concerns. Here is what you wrote:

"This program will capture anything - even images on websites where the creator has instituted controls so that when you attempt to capture it pops up with "copyright".

This infers that such practice is OK by you and suggests that you have done so. All not good. With regards to your mentioning it in your original post, it would have been best to include your rejoinder there rather than after the fact.

Arthur Morris
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Or to put it another way: Post: There is a great new ski mask that makes it easier thanm ever to rob convenience stores; you can check it out here: ww;robthatstore.com

Jay Gould
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
There is no question you can capture and crop in numerous programs. That is a process. With SnagIt you simply box-in what portion of an image you want and it is instantly waved and converted. For me, the biggest use is pasting into emails an image or a portion of text that is part of the email discussion. It is amazing the amount of times I use this program to copy a piece of text or a product image from a commercial site to send to someone, e.g., the company itself rather than taking the time to type the text as a quote. Once you have and use this convenience, using photoshop for an image of a tripod head or a ThinkTank bag is much too slow. Different horses for different courses.

Jay Gould
06-17-2009, 01:34 PM

"This program will capture anything - even images on websites where the creator has instituted controls so that when you attempt to capture it pops up with "copyright".

This infers that such practice is OK by you and suggests that you have done so. All not good. With regards to your mentioning it in your original post, it would have been best to include your rejoinder there rather than after the fact.

Artie, with all due respect, that is your inference from my statement of FACT not from any statement of OPINION I have offered!

You might feel it is a reasonable inference perhaps because your view is colored by all of the internet image theft; I do not feel that it is a reasonable inference applied to me.

When someone states a fact, you have to evaluate the person making the statement of fact when you decide to create an inference - an opinion about the person - from that STATEMENT of FACT. I have never given you or anyone else any reason to believe that I would use or condone the use of SnagIt improperly. I do not believe I have posted anything on this Forum or in any email between us to justify you drawing an inference that I condoned improper use of the program.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Why would you waste $50 on a program like snagit when you can do it with all the stuff you got on your PC like Paint for free - well sort of for free as it's already there in your program directory? :D

Norm Dulak
06-17-2009, 04:17 PM

???

Cheers, Jay

If you have a Mac, simply press command-shift-4 together, and you will get a cursor. Drag the cursor around anything you can see on your computer screen, and you will instantly have a full copy of it. So if you have a Mac, don't waste your money on this or any other program for this purpose.

Norm

Norm Dulak
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
If you have a Mac, simply press command-shift-4 together, and you will get a cursor. Drag the cursor around anything you can see on your computer screen, and you will instantly have a full copy of it. So if you have a Mac, don't waste your money on this or any other program for this purpose.

Norm

By way of further clarification, the original issue was copying your histogram. Copying things that you do not own by any method is illegal and should not be done.

Norm

Jay Gould
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Why would you waste $50 on a program like snagit when you can do it with all the stuff you got on your PC like Paint for free - well sort of for free as it's already there in your program directory? :D

Akos, there are many fairs called "trash and treasure". One person purchase of what they consider wonderful is another person's waste of $50.

You can download and try the program for free; it is a tremendous time saver - I use it every day many times each day.

For example, when I was comparing camera backpacks and waist packs I was able to quickly "snag" images and texts from various sites and paste them into a Word .docx and easily compare one to the other.

Try it - it's free to try - you just might like it! ;):)

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2009, 05:21 PM
I am glad you are a bargain hunter Jay! :)

Robert Amoruso
06-18-2009, 07:24 AM
If you are running Vista you have a powerful free program called Snipping Tool. Find it here on you computer: C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe. Works great, allows you to copy just want you want on a screen with a sizable border, copy to an application or save as a graphics file.

Norm Dulak
06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
It should be clear from the foregoing that (a) if you have a newer PC or a Mac, you do not need to pay extra money to copy items from your computer screen, and (b) the intellectual property rights of others must at all times be respected.

I suggest applying the $50 for the suggested additional software towards a night out with your significant other or a new piece of camera equipment.

Norm Dulak

Jay Gould
06-18-2009, 02:12 PM
It should be clear from the foregoing that (a) if you have a newer PC or a Mac, you do not need to pay extra money to copy items from your computer screen, and (b) the intellectual property rights of others must at all times be respected.

I suggest applying the $50 for the suggested additional software towards a night out with your significant other or a new piece of camera equipment.

Norm Dulak

Norm, and Robert:

I am aware of the Snipping Tool - and my free hand drawing is lousy. Additionally, when you capture a Snip, as compared to a Snag, you have to save the Snip somewhere as a .jpg and then open that image where ever you want it to appear.

When I capture a Snag the SnagIt program automatically opens and I can instantly paste the Snag into an email or a document. AND, the Snag is in a neat box, not a hand drawn mess.

SnagIt also maintains a Library of all of your captures and the captures can be worked in SnagIt.

Horses for courses; SnagIt applies the KISS principle and for me that is worth the $50.

Like I suggested, you can download and try the program for free; then makeup you mind.

Jay

Robert Amoruso
06-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Norm, and Robert:

Additionally, when you capture a Snip, as compared to a Snag, you have to save the Snip somewhere as a .jpg and then open that image where ever you want it to appear.

Jay

That statement is incorrect regarding the Snipping Tool. Once the screen grab is made with the Snipping Tool you click on copy on the icons and it will be copied to the clipboard, go to photoshop, select new image, accept the defaults which will be based on the graphic on the clipboard and hit paste in PS or CTRL-J and the screen grab will be in PS. Same for MS Paint and just about anything else supporting the clipboard.

Simple and free.

Jay Gould
06-19-2009, 01:16 AM
That statement is incorrect regarding the Snipping Tool. Once the screen grab is made with the Snipping Tool you click on copy on the icons and it will be copied to the clipboard, go to photoshop, select new image, accept the defaults which will be based on the graphic on the clipboard and hit paste in PS or CTRL-J and the screen grab will be in PS. Same for MS Paint and just about anything else supporting the clipboard.

Simple and free.

Thank you Robert, I have taken the time to further study the Snipping Tool and I stand corrected. I even found the drop down menu - not that it was hiding :o - to change the Snip from freehand to a rectangle.

The one big difference is that there is no library function. There are times when I have gone back into the Library to use a prior "Snag".

The verdict is out.

This is being added several hours later - I received this from my computer guru and software provider:

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJay%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm lclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJay%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm lclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CJay%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtm lclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> Snipping tool has always been available in Vista. It is very restrictive in terms of what you can do with it….Snipping Tool really sums it up. You cannot snip a scrolling web page for instance….when researching and saving results I find this is the feature I use most. The Snagit editor is also first class with the ability to easily delete elements from the snag. I have just ordered a new PDA and needed to send evidence of the on-line Bank Transfer. I snagged my bank statement and then blanked out sensitive info all in Snagit Editor…saved it as a JPEG…and sent it to HP. With Snipping Tool, I would have snipped the document (not free form as some of the info was ‘inside’ the document) and then copied it from the clipboard into an imaging program to allow parts of the document to be hidden…certainly an extra step and not as easy.<o></o>
<o></o>
Also Snagit keeps a searchable log of all snags.<o></o>
<o></o>
To see exactly what Snagit can do, you should turn on ‘show tips at startup’ in Snagit and quickly run through the various tips.<o></o>

Cheers,

David Thomasson
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM

The "Print Screen" button will capture whatever you see on your screen. So everyone has this capability already. "This program [your operating system] will capture anything, even where the creator has instituted controls to prevent right-click copying."

Jay Gould
06-19-2009, 11:46 PM
David, of course you can use Print Screen. Then you have to edit the entire image. The goal is to quickly grab only what you want and paste to wherever you want without any or exceptionally minimal post processing.

David Thomasson
06-20-2009, 05:03 AM
David, of course you can use Print Screen. Then you have to edit the entire image. The goal is to quickly grab only what you want and paste to wherever you want without any or exceptionally minimal post processing.

Right, I understand that. I was speaking to Arthur's point that having software (like Snagit) to grab "protected" images implies that it's OK to do that. The operating system itself -- and we all have one of those -- has the capability to grab "protected" content, but saying this doesn't imply that it's OK to use it for that purpose. (I use the free version of FastStone Capture for screen shots.)