PDA

View Full Version : Kukak Bay Moonset Pano

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 07:26 AM
This three frame stitched pano was created with the Canon 24-105mm IS L lens (handheld at 47mm) and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 2/3 stops: 1/50 sec. at f/5 in manual mode.

The bears do not wake up early so we slept in on our first few days hoping from some overcast and clouds, but every day was clear and sunny so on our last two mornngs we were up at 4:30am and in the skiff by 5:15. On our next-to-last day we were greeted by a setting full moon and a stiched pano was the obvious choice.

A Linear Burn on the sky deepened the blue along the horizon. I Patch Tooled out a floating sea otter that was tiny in the frame and thus distracting.

Roman Kurywczak
06-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey Artie,
Welcome back?? Nice to see you dropping in here. would ask about the f5 choice as well as hand held, but the shaprness and layers look very good and that is what matters. I really like the pastel hues and the way the darker lines of the water lead you to the distant mountains. The pano is very effective here also as it further emphasizes the mountain range. Some may agrue about the FG rocks on the left......that it unbalances the image......for me, it just adds another bit of depth to the scene and along with the moon position and reflection.....while minimal in size......very big in impact. I really like the flow and feel of this one. Very nicely done .....even for a bird guy:D!

Robert Amoruso
06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Artie, I like the prominent FG rock on the left as it provides depth to the more subtle colors and detail in the BG fog unshrounded mountains. It also provides a leading line from the left to the mouth of the passage between the two middile ground mountains to the BG snow-capped mountains.

I think the FG is just right as it lends a good "sense of depth" to the image w/o too much FG negative space.

Excellent handholding technique. And you told me once you could not do landscapes (in San Diego if you don't remember). :)

Robert Amoruso
06-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Roman and I posted almost simultaneously - interesting the similar comments.

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Roman,

re:

Welcome back??

Yes. I was in AK on the bear boat for ten days.

Nice to see you dropping in here.

Thank you sir. It is nice to be here.

would ask about the f5 choice as well as hand held, but the shaprness and layers look very good and that is what matters.

As for the aperture, it is nice to use a short lens once in while with amost limitless d-o-f as long as you are working without foreground detail (as compared to my big teles with their microscipic d-o-f at MFD. As for handholding, I have had great success doing the stitch panos with both the 24-105 (with which I can make sharp images at ridiculous shutter speeds like 1/13 sec.) and also with the 70-200 f/4.

I really like the pastel hues and the way the darker lines of the water lead you to the distant mountains. The pano is very effective here also as it further emphasizes the mountain range. Some may agrue about the FG rocks on the left......that it unbalances the image......for me, it just adds another bit of depth to the scene and along with the moon position and reflection.....while minimal in size......very big in impact. I really like the flow and feel of this one. Very nicely done .....even for a bird guy:D!

Thank you sir. Actually, it is a bird-scapes; you just cannot see the birds. If you look at the foreground island on the left, you will note a crag in the center. Atop that crag is an eagle's nest with 3 small chicks in it. You can see them here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=276396#post276396

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Robert,

re:

I like the prominent FG rock on the left as it provides depth to the more subtle colors and detail in the BG fog unshrounded mountains. It also provides a leading line from the left to the mouth of the passage between the two middile ground mountains to the BG snow-capped mountains.

That was the plan. Thanks for recognizing it. And see the pane above for info on the eagle nest.

I think the FG is just right as it lends a good "sense of depth" to the image w/o too much FG negative space.

:) :) :)

Excellent handholding technique. And you told me once you could not do landscapes (in San Diego if you don't remember). :)

I do remember. I am much better with panos (thanks to early help from David Kennedy) than I am with a single lens.

Thanks to both you and to Roman for commenting. I was oh for 40 views before you two (friends) came along. :)

David Kennedy
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Artie,
The mood of the image is possibly the best part--I like the subtle changes in tonality across the image. That's something that I'm not always so good at, as I gravitate more towards (over)saturated colors. I'm glad to hear that some of the tips I gave you in Kenya have paid off! The only criticism I would offer is that I would like to see some more separation between the foreground crags of your land(bird)scape and the mountains in the background. I also understand that isn't always possible!

Arthur Morris
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks David. I could have gone on the upper deck.... Seriously. See you and your Dad in Quito soon!