PDA

View Full Version : Abstract

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 06:03 AM
This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 500. Evaluative metering - 2 2/3 stops to avoid burning the rim lit fur: 1/800 sec. at f/11.

As I had envisioned the final result in the field I darkened the fur during the ACR conversion and darkened it further in Photoshop mostly with a Levels adjustment.

Don't be shy; all coments welcome.

ps: It is the backlit hump and the back of a Coastal Brown Bear and was photographed in Katmai National Park in Alaska.

Morkel Erasmus
06-13-2009, 06:53 AM
I almost thought it was a fire-display :)
certainly something different! lovely backlight and bristels of the hair. I would have preferred just a definitive shape like an ear or the round of the top of the head to give more distinction. top prize would've been if he'd looked to the right and his head was protruding from the shape of his body.

these would be my preferences for a shot like this but it certainly works on an artistic/eye-catching level.

hope I make sense? I'm relatively new to keen photography...

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I would have preferred just a definitive shape like an ear or the round of the top of the head to give more distinction. top prize would've been if he'd looked to the right and his head was protruding from the shape of his body. hope I make sense? I'm relatively new to keen photography...

Hi Morkel, I agree, and you make perfect sense. I should have mentioned that folks should check out this very interesting thread and be sure to scroll all the way down: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38493

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Fabs Forns
06-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Very clever, Maestro, I wish his ears had been up :)
Welcome home!

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks Fabs, I too wish that her head was up with the ears visible but that image was never there. The animal was too involved with grazing.

Steve Canuel
06-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Neat effect. Without knowing before hand what it is, I'd have guessed some kind of plant. As noted above, a more definitive bear shape/outline would've really made this one pretty cool.

Harshad Barve
06-13-2009, 06:08 PM
This is awsome Arthur
Never thought such a image can be made
Another lesson learnt from you
Harshad

Ed Cordes
06-13-2009, 06:23 PM
A really cool effect. I thought it was n image of some plant reeds or something like it. As was mentioned a bit more shape to give us a hint of identity would be nice.

Todd Frost
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice effect, one most of us caught up in the moment would not even think about. Very good example for us to slow down and think when behind the camera, after making the more traditional images of course;). As mentioned already head, ear in frame would have been nice but you can only take what is presented.

Todd

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks Todd. Each afternoon we had lots of bears around us so lots of time to think.

Kiran Khanzode
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Seeing this image made me register my username and log in just to make comment on this phenomenal shot. I directly came to this page and started imagining what this might be and I was taken to quite a few places....until I read what it really was.

Many congratulations and thx for the inspiration !

Regards,
Kiran

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Seeing this image made me register my username and log in just to make comment on this phenomenal shot. I directly came to this page and started imagining what this might be and I was taken to quite a few places....until I read what it really was. Many congratulations and thx for the inspiration ! Regards, Kiran

Hey Kiran, Thank you for your kind words. And it is great to see you here. Where are you from?

ps: Do check today's blog at www.bidsasart-blog.com (http://www.bidsasart-blog.com) for more on creating blacklit images.

Kiran Khanzode
06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Art, I am usually on NSN :-)...but have been visiting this forum for some time as a visitor. I am an amateur wildlife photographer from the SF Bay Area, CA.

Thx for the link ! Am reading it now.

Regards,
Kiran

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey Kiran, You are most welcome. Do post some images here and you just might be impressed with the critiques that you receive. Hope to see you around.