PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Damsel Again

Mike Fuhr
06-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I tried to get a picture of these damsels last year and didn't quite get it. Didn't have the dof or the fill flash I needed. So I went back again today. I really like how this one turned out C and C welcome.

Nikon D50
100-300 F/4
1/60
F7.1 (0.33)
Fill flash
ISO 200
Tripod
minor crop

Gordon Craig
06-13-2009, 07:18 AM
This picture must have taken a lot of patience to take. I know those damsels move around a lot. Its a fairly sharp picture with a soft background. I might have moved the ISO up a bit to 400 for a quicker shutter speen and even sharper Damsel. Well done.

Randy Stout
06-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Mike:

Gordon hit the important points. Lovely colors, but not quite critically sharp.
In my limited bug experience, when doing butterflies, I usually aim for around f/11 to give me enough DOF. I usually shoot bugs handheld, because they are going all the time, and I can't control my plane of focus well enough at larger f/stops.

I am blanking on the lens you used. I know Nikkors pretty well, and have a 100-300 MF zoom, but it is a f/5.6. Is this a different brand?

I would def. crank the ISO up a bit if you have the chance. Better a little noise and sharp.

Congrats on capturing this guy, keep them coming!

Randy

Mike Fuhr
06-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Its a Sigma 100-300 F/4 that I use. It's great for these guys.

Randy Stout
06-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Mike:

Sounds like it should be a versatile lens for you. What is the magnification at its closest focus? Do you tend to use near diopters like the 500D, or can you get in close enough for the larger bugs to give good subject size?

Thanks. I am always curious about what else is out there!

Randy

Julie Kenward
06-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Mike, you are definitely off to a good start for the season. As the others have said, it's not quite razor sharp but it's very close and nicely set up. I like how you can see his face and the entire body - nice clean composition. I also think you could take this to a horizontal or square crop if you chose to.

Mike Fuhr
06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Heres' a horizontal comp like Jules suggested. I might try going square on this one too. A bit better sharpness. I'll look up the lens stats and post them to answer the lens questions.

Julie Kenward
06-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I like that one, too, Mike. You might move him even more towards the URC so he's not so square in the center of the frame but I do like it as presented.

Mike Fuhr
06-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Randy -- I just use the naked lens. The min focus is about 71 inches, max magnification 1:5. I like it because it produces some great backgrounds and it's versatile for the type of stuff I do. Still want to get a macro lens at some point for real close up stuff.

SIGMA APO 100-300mm F4 EX DG HSM

Fabs Forns
06-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Very pristine and attractive composition that could use another round of sharpening around the head and tail. Clean BG and colors.