PDA

View Full Version : Phragmipedium Firestorm Fernbrook x Phragmipedium besseae 'Ruby"

John Lowin
06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
This is another orchid from my collection. I purchased this plant as a seedling four years ago, this is only the second time that it has bloomed. The first bloom, last year, was not worth photographing, so I'm very happy how it has turned out. The blossom measures three and three quarter inches across and the color is intense. Image created by natural window light with a white card reflector. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/32 2.5s ISO 640 MLU
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon Remote Shutter Release
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Gordon Craig
06-13-2009, 07:14 AM
I rally like the composition of this photo. I don't know the exact biological term but the white powder on the flower really adds to the picture. My only criticism (and its a small one) is the leaf at the bottom being cut off.

Julie Kenward
06-13-2009, 08:38 AM
John, I have to ask...did you have to desaturate the reds at all because they are PERFECT! I'm dying to know if you did this all in camera or if you had to pull them back any in pp.

And yes, in a perfect world, I'd like to see that leaf in the frame as well but that long stem sure explains why its not! Possibility might include stepping back to get it all in and then using content-aware scale to take a slice out of the middle - but that wouldn't give us the true representation of that beautiful red stem.

I like it very much as presented.

John Lowin
06-13-2009, 09:30 AM
I rally like the composition of this photo. I don't know the exact biological term but the white powder on the flower really adds to the picture. My only criticism (and its a small one) is the leaf at the bottom being cut off.

Hi Gordon, thanks for your comments. The "white powder" on the petals and on the pouch, are actually very fine white hairs. The reason the leaf is cut off, is that the shiny plastic pot it is growing in begins at that point. That was a much greater distraction to me the the terminated leaf. Thanks again. - John

John Lowin
06-13-2009, 09:46 AM
John, I have to ask...did you have to desaturate the reds at all because they are PERFECT! I'm dying to know if you did this all in camera or if you had to pull them back any in pp.

And yes, in a perfect world, I'd like to see that leaf in the frame as well but that long stem sure explains why its not! Possibility might include stepping back to get it all in and then using content-aware scale to take a slice out of the middle - but that wouldn't give us the true representation of that beautiful red stem.

I like it very much as presented.

Hi Julie, I appreciate your comments. No pp done on petals, red is as shot. The only thing done to the petals is Photo Kit Sharpener.

The leaf hangs well below the edge of the pot. The pot is a typical small glossy green plastic. I could have put that plastic pot into one of the decorative ceramic pots that I use when bringing plants upstairs from my growing room to enjoy upstairs. I wanted the image to be of the flower, and not of pottery. Thanks again. - John

Anita Bower
06-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Lovely. I like the simplicity of this image.

Ed Cordes
06-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Simply gorgeous! Reds are perfect!

Joseph Martines
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
This is one of m¥ favorite orchids.

I find it a difficult orchid to photograph and commend you for your results.

Thanks for sharing.

Fabs Forns
06-14-2009, 03:27 PM
You have the most beautiful orchids, John, and you have the hang of classic composition that shows the best of them. I am enjoying everyone of them :)

John Lowin
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
You have the most beautiful orchids, John, and you have the hang of classic composition that shows the best of them. I am enjoying everyone of them :)

Thank you Fabs! I really appreciate your kind words. I've been growing orchids for about fifteen years, but only started photographing them about a month ago. - John

Fabs Forns
06-14-2009, 09:02 PM
I grew them for 12 years, only catleyas, vandas and other species that tolerated our heat and humidity. Now I don't even have a single green living organism!

John Lowin
06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
I grew them for 12 years, only catleyas, vandas and other species that tolerated our heat and humidity. Now I don't even have a single green living organism!

I really envy you the ability to grow vandas. I built a controlled growing room in my basement and raise predominantly intermediate growers with a few cool and a few warm growers all under lights. Wisconsin isn't ideal for high light warm growers and heating a greenhouse here in the winter is prohibitive. :-) I do have one very nice Asconopsis, but that's a far as I dare. Thanks! - John