PDA

View Full Version : Tree peony leaves (light box)

massimomossi
06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Hello,

Thank you for all the comments on the fern, which are useful, and I have been thinking about them; I am not sure what I think about them, though, so I think I'll just move right along and submit another (I think stronger) photo for your analysis. The "light" spots on the leaves are all water drops of various sizes and shapes.

Do let me know what you think of this, though, and I will continue to work on the other as well. Below I give all the PP adjustments I made in PS. Perhaps this will help with figuring out why the final product looks as it does.

Olympus SP-570UZ, 4.6 mm super macro setting; ISO 64, f/5.6, 1/8 sec.

Converted to grayscale in PSLightRoom2.
Adjustments: Fill lt, +25; blacks, +15; clarity, +100; light tones, +76; sharpness, +75; luminance NR, +60.

Thank you for looking,
Massimo

Harold Davis
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM
i like the tonal range in this one better than the first. the sharpness and detail seem better too. it has nice depth with the different layers of leaves. i like it. just think it would be nicer to have cleaner edges, including the tips of the leaves. i can see what appears to be the edge of the light box in the upper left corner.

Mike Moats
06-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Massimo, I like it a lot. Great tones, and like the contrast of the darker fore ground leaves and the back leaves.

Julie Kenward
06-12-2009, 08:35 PM
This is definitely an improvement over the first one, Massimo. Two things - I'd clone out the stem of the lower set of leaves - it's peaking out in two places and it looks odd to me. Also, I'd take this up another notch in contrast - you're so close but there's still a bit of punch that I find missing here. Have you ever considered taking these in a "high key" direction and really making the whites white and the dark tones darker?

I do like this comp better and love the lighter leaves below the darker ones - good eye on that!

And always remember...we're just giving our opinions...this is your art and your work. You do with it as you please.

Don Berendsen
06-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Very nicely done Massimo! The curve of the twigs on the upper set of leaves is graceful and the lighter back leaves complement the upper set well resulting in interesting negative shapes.

I also think that a bit more contrast might be nice, but this is really a matter of one's aesthetic and the choice you've made here works quite well.