PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Colorado's Journey into Moab

Michael Pancier
06-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Shot this at Dawn on the scenic drive just outside Moab.

It doesn't look it but the temps were a crisp 16 degrees when I took this in February. :confused:

5d Mark II with 24-105L
3 exposure HDR
f/16
ISO 100

processed in Photomatix Pro

It is slightly cropped on the top and both ends. I can add back on the left if you guys think it needs it; I've had a tough time determining where to crop on the right.

Roman Kurywczak
06-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey Michael,
Know the area well and this is a very nice angle on the scenic drive! I was going to recommend going into the water for a better angle.....but at 16 degrees.....I take it back! Nice job on merging the HDR.......as always.....if you had the clouds it would take it up another notch. I have debated the LH side for a while...and am leaning towards eliminating the curve.....but again....only way possible is n the drink......so not possible that day. Nice job on a scene we don't normally see.

Michael Pancier
06-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Roman, that's the thing about the area. 1st day there, I had amazing clouds. Thought I'd have an amazing couple of days, then the next day, clouds were history for the rest of my trip.

chris Bycroft
06-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Hi Michael,

Really like the image - the lack of clouds and the curved margin of the river does not bother me. The sky itself I think is interesting with light colour in the distance blending into the deep blue.

Have you used some vignetting on the edges? I think you have done a good job if you have.

One thing I wondered is could you selectively add some contrast to the boulders on the large slip faces. I think it would add to the photo to bring out some of those features.

I think I have camped near there a few years ago when I have visited the area. Such a different landscape to where I live in New Zealand.

Ed Cordes
06-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Clouds or not it is a tranquil scene. 16 Degrees!!! We photographers are a dedicated lot!

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Moving back and higher with a longer lens might have allowed you to eliminate the foeground left. The mountain does not look at all sharp to me; what are the rest of you seeing????