PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bee on Echinacea

John Lowin
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
This image was created in my yard last summer. The most interesting thing to me are the pollen particles all over and the pollen basket on the rear leg. This bee looks like it is sitting on a bed of red hot nails. Hope you like my image, C and C welcome. I'm here to learn. - John

f/10 1/800 ISO 400
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM @ 180mm
hh

Julie Kenward
06-11-2009, 08:53 PM
You know what I love best about this one, John? That even though the colors are intense they aren't over saturated. I love the deep intensity of the "red hot nails" next to the soft colors of the flower and BG.

The bee is also perfectly exposed and very sharp. I had no idea bees had a "pollen basket." You learn something new every day around here!

Wonderful comp as well. This is definitely a keeper.

Bruce Murden
06-12-2009, 10:17 AM
+1 to what Jules said. I really like the simple but interesting BG. Adds to the image but doesn't take away from the subject. But (there had to be a "but"...) the petal sticking up to R of the bee seems out of place. For a final art print, I'd want to clone that out, since the rest of the petals all curl down on the subject blossom.

Sweet focus & sharpness. Nice job!

Harold Davis
06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
totally agree with bruce about evicting the petal behind the bee. would simplify it even further and make it perfect. love all the colors, as julie said. not overdone, but vibrant!

Mike Moats
06-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey John, very cool comp. Love the details and colors. Well done.

John Lowin
06-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you one and all for the comments and suggestions. This was a challenge for me to accomplish. How do you like the repost? - John

Anita Bower
06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks for pointing out the pollen basket or I would not have known what it was. I think you did a good job with the cloning. I do like the cloned image better. Very nice.