PDA

View Full Version : Nebelhorn Mountain in the Algäu Alps, Bavaria, Germany

John Lowin
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
The Nebelhorn mountain (2,224m - 7,295 ft) in the Allgäu Alps, Germany, near the village of Oberstdorf. It lends its name to the Nebelhorn Trophy figure skating competition which is held in Oberstdorf. The longest valley ski run in all of Germany is here, 4.7 miles. Oberstdorf is also known for it's ski jump. World Nordic Championships were held here in 1987. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/10 1/800 ISO 400
Canon 1D MkII
Canon 28-300 mm f/3.5-5.6L EF IS USM @180mm
hh

Roman Kurywczak
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi John,
Compositionally this is very nice with the flow of the peaks and a very nice sky. The light is a bit harsh and would take this image from the ordinary.....to extraordinary .....if sun angle was lower....as it would have brought out more textures. Not sure it is possible to get there earlier though.....so considering the light.....you handled the exposure well too. The right light would have made this a few notches better.

John Chardine
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Agree, image would benefit from darkening up the rock a bit and making the light more dramatic. Sky adds a lot to the image. I see lots of jpeg halos so wonder what the size of the image posted was? If you bring it in a little under the BPN limit of 200k you should not see any halos.

John Lowin
06-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi John,
Compositionally this is very nice with the flow of the peaks and a very nice sky. The light is a bit harsh and would take this image from the ordinary.....to extraordinary .....if sun angle was lower....as it would have brought out more textures. Not sure it is possible to get there earlier though.....so considering the light.....you handled the exposure well too. The right light would have made this a few notches better.

Hi Roman, Thanks for your comments. I don't have enough experience to know if the light issue is partly due to altitude. The light was definitely different from this vantage point than at the foot of the mountain.

Here is an image I posted previously from the same location. The light, due to the clouds, changed frequently. You can see the Nebelhorn Mt. on the far left of this post. - John

John Lowin
06-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Agree, image would benefit from darkening up the rock a bit and making the light more dramatic. Sky adds a lot to the image. I see lots of jpeg halos so wonder what the size of the image posted was? If you bring it in a little under the BPN limit of 200k you should not see any halos.

Hi John, Thanks for your comments. This is interesting, you are looking for more dramatic lighting, Roman, for less. I checked and the size is 167.3. I re-saved it from high jpeg to medium 122.3K, but I still see halos. I would probably have to go back to my original tiff image and do a save for Web and Devices from scratch at a lower resolution. Thanks again. - John

Robert Amoruso
06-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Unless your hiking and camping or at some type of base camp, getting early or late light may not be a possibility. So I say embrace the contrast. I actually like the second image better due to the high contrast and all the details it brings to the image. I like the first one too, it is just in the second all the detail in the mountains and flow to the BG really give the eye a lot to contemplate.

John Lowin
06-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Much appreciated!

Jay Gould
06-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Like 'em both; definitely like the contrast in the 2nd better. Cheers,

Morkel Erasmus
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
nice image - very dramatic landscape. agree about the light and halos though. would love to go there one day! if you size your image to just under 200KB it should steer clear from halos.