PDA

View Full Version : Fern 2

massimomossi
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Hello,

Here is something different from what I have been doing: lightbox pictures. I've been working on a series of these, using all sorts of plants, flowers, leaves, etc. "Curves" was a color picture made this way but left in color; most I convert to BW and treat almost as silhouettes--they are less about botanical detail and more about 2-D design.

I like the rhythms and textures that are created this way.

OLYMPUS SP-570UZ, zoom at 9.8mm; ISO 64, 1/30s f/8.0. Some minimal cropping, not much else by way of PSE editing.

Hope you enjoy; I'd love to hear what you think, and as always thanks for looking.

Massimo

Julie Kenward
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Massimo, I've always wanted to try lightbox images...they seem so ethereal. As for this one, I'd love to see a sharper contrast between the bright white and the dark tones - these feel a little muddy to me. Also, I think your comp might be stronger with the main stem running horizontally through the image. I realize you're trying to showcase the main leaves of the plant but the strong horizontal line is really pulling my eye out of the frame.

Keep it up...I'd love to see more of these!

Bruce Murden
06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree that the horizontal stem cutting across the bottom of the frame, and the first leaves below this stem being cut off, hold the eye at the bottom of the frame, taking away from the diagonal stems and their leaves above the main stem. Too static for my taste. Can you explore wider frames on this lightbox?

Harold Davis
06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
interesting concept. the muddiness is due to softness? doesnt look very sharp. wondering if some subtle fill flash would help just a bit. would love to see more!

Mike Moats
06-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Massimo, I think the layout works well. Interesting presentation and lighting. Good work.

Don Berendsen
06-13-2009, 06:42 AM
I agree that it's an interesting concept and feel the composition could be improved. It might help to think of shapes rather than things as you're arranging the subject. Both the shape of the subject itself and the negative shapes that surround it. I like the approach and look forward to seeing more.

Gordon Craig
06-13-2009, 07:10 AM
I really like the concept behind the composition. I don't mind the leaves being cut off at the bottom. It could be perhaps a bit sharper.

Anita Bower
06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I like the different shades of black, and the 3 dimensional look to this mostly 2 dimensional image.