PDA

View Full Version : Gaillardia

Anita Bower
06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
I was inspired by Roman's Gaillardia ("Over the Top") to post my version, with a white BG. I wish my image was as sharp as Roman's.

Taken indoors using white foam board as BG and as reflector on side, near window, all natural light.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro lens, f40 (I need a way to translate this to terms everyone can use for comparison, including myself)*, 1.3 sec., ISO 200, tripod, pattern metering, manual exposure, manual focus, auto WB. PP using Elements 7 and PS7.
*(A few words about the EXIF data. My new camera and macro lens record the relative or effective f stop, not the one seen on the lens. For an explanation of this, go to the next to the last question at this site: http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/macro-faqs.html (http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/macro-faqs.html) ).<O:p</O:p

massimomossi
06-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Anita,

I like your rendition--the white bg gives the flower a luminosity that is really stunning. My preference generally is for a tighter crop, without stem, but this is elegant as is. Sharpness is not a factor for me; the detail on the leaves is more than sufficient, and the slightly OOF quality of the flower goes well with the luminosity.

Nice work! and nice camera and lens ...

Massimo

Julie Kenward
06-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I also like the white BG but no big secret there! I like the comp you chose as it's different but I do wish I could see a bit of the top of the flower or more of the center.

Great pop of color, Anita and a nice job on those reds and yellows.

Harold Davis
06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
lots to like here!! that's just a happy picture! bright and vibrant colors. the sharpness isnt bad at all.

Roman Kurywczak
06-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Anita,
I do like the high key look and you should definitely explore the over-exposure method with this one......the colors will go pastel. I like the angle as it showcases the leaves.....but a slight turn down wouldn't hurt either. Nicely done.

Mike Moats
06-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey Anita, nice painted look, high key works well, nice comp.

denise ippolito
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Anita, I like the high-key also. I like this composition- there is plenty of interest being shown.Well done.