PDA

View Full Version : The Leopard Encounter

Santanu Banik
06-11-2009, 05:54 AM
This was the finest moment I cherish during my recent Kanha Tiger Reserve trip, Madhya Pradesh, India. This moment is very very special to me as I had spotted this cat! We were following the alarm calls inside the park. Our guide stopped the car near a small creek where he showed a fresh pug marks on the road. I was sitting on the back seat of the safari vehicle. I took my camera and moved my body a bit forward to take the snap of the pug marks. Suddenly I heard a noise (of leaves/branches) at of back of my head. I immediately turned back and saw this chap on the tree - hardly two and half meters away. It was sitting on a branch which was almost at the top of my head!!! No one in the vehicle noticed this chap before. Immediately he started climbing down the tree; I was spellbound and didn’t get a fraction of a seconds time to capture that million dollar moment. But I will cherish the memory forever. It took me around 2-3 seconds to come back to the real world. It climbed down and went inside the bushes; gave a cold stare and went into the bush. Then the partner of this leopard was also seen; they came back on the road. We enjoyed this wonderful sighting for about 15-20 minutes before they vanished into the roadside bushes again. Was quite an amazing experience!

Shooting data: Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS lens with 1.4x TC, handheld

http://www.indianaturewatch.net/images/album/photo/21210683214a2f3e22cd6cd.jpg

Fabs Forns
06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
This is very well done, good eye contact, great pose and placement in the frame, composition could not be better. Lots to like here, will be looking forward to more.
Interesting read too :)

Ed Cordes
06-11-2009, 07:58 AM
This is an outstanding image and a great story. Wow! What an experience. I really like the look you are getting from him - kind of saying he is not very happy you are there. The raised rear foot shows action and the way the leopard pops from the BG is just super! Congratulations! It is times like these that we cherish all our lives!

peter delaney
06-11-2009, 08:32 AM
congrats on your sighting.. and a wonderful image... something to cherish for a long time...

well done
Peter

Harshad Barve
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Beautiful mamal , & you have captured him nicely
I would love to see image after a step to avoid a tree
cant crop that as tail is there

thanks for sharing
Harshad

Nagesh Mula
06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Its a sharp and beautiful picture. Overall well done. Congratulations!!

Arthur Morris
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Ditto all of the positive stuff above. The sharpness is stunning. And yes, a great story. Even the shafts of sunlight on the road work well compositionally. My only wish is that the tail did not merge with the tree.

Sabyasachi Patra
06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Santanu,
Lovely image. Watching a leopard in wild is always an amazing experience, especially in India where they are more shy. I like the composition in this image. The streaks of sunlight adds to the image. The tail touching the tree is a big plus as along with the raised hind leg it shows its connection with the tree. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi