PDA

View Full Version : Westland Coastal Landforms

chris Bycroft
06-11-2009, 04:42 AM
This photo was taken on a weekend tramp (hike) in South Westland, New Zealand. It was taken with a Canon G10. Very difficult lighting to deal with with bright lighting from sun on one side and the contrast of the coastal landfroms on the other. Not sure whether much can be done with the blown highlights, but they are in someways part of the scene. Photo details AV mode, ISO 100, f8 1/500 sec.

Chris Bycroft

Valerio Tarone
06-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Chris I really like the image for the fading shadows, the blend of lights. But,as you write,the lowest part is disturbing, I'd prefer to crop it off. I didn't suceed in downloading it to work on it.

Roman Kurywczak
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Chris,
I find these type of images appealing to the eye but often difficult to translate to an image. The high contrast and depth of the layers is the appeal here......but you may have gone a bit far there in the PP'ing. I did a reverse S-curve (Robert has a tutorial sticky in contrast/tonal range tweaks).......and then did a very slight LCE (also in that section) of 20/25/0. Big thing was the crop though.....as I found the large darker area on the right overpowered the image. I did also clone/patch the LL rocks.......but that is your calll if you are OK with such things. Let me know your thoughts. You may also consider making this a B&W.....since it is almost there anyway.

chris Bycroft
06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks Valerio and Roman for you comments. Particularly Roman for your work on the image. I like what you have done with the colours and cloning. I had already had a bit of a go with B&W but found I was strugling with the sky a bit, I may do some more work on that. I agree I probably did go to far with the sky in lightroom. Prehaps I should work a bit more in CS4. I will try and track down Roberts tutorial. I would like to get back to this place sometime, although it is at the other end of the country and you have to get the tides right to even get there.

Cheers

Chris

Robert Amoruso
06-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Chris,

I am a fan of high contrast scenes so that is not the basis of my comment here but the strongest part of this image is the sea stalks and the depth that is created due to the sea spray and back lighting. I posted a crop of what I mean. I would opt to crop out the strongly contrasting water in the FG.

Exploring these relationships at this sight is the way to go in my opinion.