PDA

View Full Version : Reflection in Lake Chaumiere

Julie Kenward
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Well, now how did I get down here? Somebody must have booted me out of the macro forum!

I was trying out the new 400mm lens on some local ducks the other night and right before I lost the light I came up with this reflection of a stump floating on the lake surface. Yes, I shouldn't have necessarily been at f6.3 but I'm still getting used to the new lens (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!) Next time, definitely will stop down more but the reflection here was just so darn beautiful I had to try to make something of it.

How's the comp? I did cut a bit off the left side and a little off the bottom; if I need to add any back in, let me know...

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
f6.3 @ 1/100th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld (Whew! Is that a workout!)
Processed in ACR & CS4; small levels and contrast adjustments and small crop. Cloned out some debris/spots on the lake surface.

chris Bycroft
06-11-2009, 04:46 AM
Great reflections. Only comment is that I think I would like to see a little more water to the left of the log.

Roman Kurywczak
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Jules,
Well look who stopped by to visit me! Congrats on the new 400 too. We'll lose another one to Avian now too! I agree with putting the room back on the left and bottom. I am not fond of the white/lighter area of the reflection as well as the squarish (is that a word?)area near it.....but I would just crop slightly....as it makes a nice pattern and then tone down or blend the lighter area. Putting the space back will put your focal point more on the ROT position and will help strengthen the comp overall. Looking forward to some more landscapes from you!