PDA

View Full Version : Ringneck portrait

Steve Maxson
06-10-2009, 02:20 PM
This drake Ring-necked Duck was photographed from a blind on a small woodland pond. Cropped from a horizontal original. I added a little canvas at the top after rotating the image to level it. I also selected the eye and added black to the pupil. 40D, 500 f/4 + 1.4X, 1/640, f/6.3, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Tony Whitehead
06-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I like the details in these tight portraits, Steve. I think some shadow/highlight would reveal a bit more in the dark areas and maximize this aspect. I think the BG works well and the eye is a great focal point - water texture and droplets on teh feathers are lovely. Well done.

Steve Maxson
06-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I like the details in these tight portraits, Steve. I think some shadow/highlight would reveal a bit more in the dark areas and maximize this aspect. I think the BG works well and the eye is a great focal point - water texture and droplets on teh feathers are lovely. Well done.
Hi Tony. I like what you did in the repost - it brings out a lot more detail in the breast area. Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

Alfred Forns
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Good looking duck Steve and one hard to expose !! Did real well !!

I like the subtle difference in the repost Very easy to go overboard with the S/H but this is done just right !!!!

Ramon M. Casares
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Nice comp, light, pose, detail, colors, BG, exposure and sharpness. Repost is better although the OP looked good as well.
Congratulations!

Daniel Cadieux
06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Good repost by Tony. Steve, good job with the added canvas and eye work. I love the fact that the neck ring is clearly visible, and of course the water drops are a nice bonus :-)

Charles Wesley
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Steve,

Wonderful job with the color and details.
Thanks for sharing...

Dave Leroy
06-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Really nice photo Steve. Really good job on the tonal range. The repost seems to bring out the subtle colours a bit more also. Very well done. Dave

Stu Bowie
06-10-2009, 11:54 PM
I like the angle in this, together with the light, and detail. The droplets add to the image, and Tony's repost works well.

Kiran Poonacha
06-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Nice pose and Light on this one.. the repost works well.