PDA

View Full Version : Langur portrait

Sabyasachi Patra
02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I was waiting for the tiger. After more than an hour, this monkey came down the tree and sat on a lantana bush nearby.

Shot it with Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm F2.8 L IS USM with Canon EF 2x II converter at ISO 200, F5.6, 1/100.

Robert O'Toole
02-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Sabyasachi,

Excellent expression, positioning and great composition, Ilike how the angled arm helps frame the face. Also good job making the image sharp at 1/100. Thanks for sharing this image.

3 things you might want to consider changing. Overall the image is dark on my monitor. The face can be selectively lightened. Also adding more on the bottom edge would help balance the empty space at the top.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I would punch up the contrast a bit and agree with Robert on lightening the face some.

D. Robert Franz
02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Agree wth the above suggestions. This is a fine portrait..

Sabyasachi Patra
02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Robert,
Thanks for the comments. I watched this Langur monkey and when he made this pose, I immedaitely attached the 2x converter to the 400 f2.8 IS. I had earlier watched National Geographic Staff photographer Ed Kashi creatively using framing while shooting on an assignment in India. Tried to utilise that learning in wildlife photography. Hence, you see the forearm framing the face.

I will callibrate my monitor. The image you see here is not at all cropped, except for the 1.3 crop of the sensor :-) Henceforth, I will try to keep the balance in mind.

Thanks again for the comments. Last year four of my tiger shots had reached the semifinals of the Shell wildlife photographer of the year competition. I hope learning from you guys, will help me move further and make me a better photographer.
Thanks a ton.