PDA

View Full Version : Black & White Warbler

Mike Lentz
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I spent last weekend in northern Minnesota and found some of the most wonderful warbler habitat I've ever seen. Almost all images were taken on overcast days shooting higher ISO's and giving up DOF to get the SS needed. I saw B/W, Black Throated Green, Blackburnian, Northern Parula, Chestnut Sided, Wilsons, Mourning, Magnolia, American Redstart, Ovenbird and Yellow Warblers and was lucky enough to photograph most of them.
It was a trip to photograph landscapes and waterfalls, but when this opportunity presented itself the plans changed.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/113550148.jpg

Nikon D300 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/2.8 w 1.4x TC
ISO 800 ~ F/4 ~ 1/250 sec ~ fill flash at - 1 2/3 ~ tripod

Axel Hildebrandt
06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Great to see so many warbler species. I like the pose, eye contact and BG in this one. The bird looks a bit soft on my monitor.

Randy Stout
06-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Mike:

Great that you found so many different warblers!

I agree with Axel's comments, esp. the softness. I also might tone down the part of the perch in the background.

Looking forward to more.

Randy

Don Anderson
06-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Mike, nothing you can do about dof, when you don't have any light.
Mostly been said. I like the head turn, eye looks sharp, perch could
be a tad darker, overall a very nice image of a bird thats very tough
to get with anykind of clean BG. :D Thats a bigger varity than I've seen
all season. All that and the witch tree to boot.

Stu Bowie
06-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Mike, lovely pose with the open beak, and well exposed on the warbler. I do agree with the others that this is a bit soft.

ChasMcRae
06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
I love warbler & neo tropical bird shots. Nice background and the B & W is a challenge to get a nice background or catch in doing something besides preening.
Comments previously noted and nothing to add.
If you are in Isle of Palm then good Painted Bunting habitat-may be a few still singing but not like in April-feeders may have the bird also .
Chas.

Mike Lentz
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I love warbler & neo tropical bird shots. Nice background and the B & W is a challenge to get a nice background or catch in doing something besides preening.
Comments previously noted and nothing to add.
If you are in Isle of Palm then good Painted Bunting habitat-may be a few still singing but not like in April-feeders may have the bird also .
Chas.

Thank you guys!
Chas, I appreciate the help, I plan on spending some time on the painted's as well as some shore birds and possibly warblers. :)

Ramon M. Casares
06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I love hte species, te pose, the perch, and BG, but I would've loved much more DOF to be honest.
Congratulations!

Kobus Tollig
06-11-2009, 03:44 AM
You did well in the conditions. Great one