PDA

View Full Version : White-throated Hummingbird II

Ramon M. Casares
06-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi everybody, also taken in Los Pecanes Inn, located in the second section of the Paraná Delta, as I said, THE place in BA to photograph Hummingbirds and other wonderfull bird species.
This is another one of the more than 100 VERY cooperative White-throated Hummingbirds :) The composition here it is not my favorite as there is too much room to the left, but as I don't like square crops I decided to leave as it was... good call.. or bad call? Let me know you thoughts. Hope you like it though. Commetns and Critiques are welcome and apreciated.

1/800Seg.
F5.0
+2/3
ISO 1000
MarkII
300mm f4
Handheld

Enjoy.

Ilija Dukovski
06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Great capture, I just love the sharpness and detail,
nicely exposed whites, great BG, HA and camera contact too.
Regarding crop, I think you should go with less on the left,
more rectangular crop,
also the branch in URH corner bothers me, not really part of the composition,
I would go with QMing it away.
Congrats, great bird and capture!

Ramon M. Casares
06-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for your comments Ilija I apreciate it, but the OOF branch in the upper right is what made me like this image :)

Desmond Chan
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Another great image ! I'm not sure if the left needs that much room there though. Well executed shot nonetheless !!

Ilija Dukovski
06-09-2009, 11:45 PM
OK, in that case there's not much you can do about the crop.
In any case nicely done :)

Kobus Tollig
06-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Great shot sir. I like it as is. Well done

Harshad Barve
06-10-2009, 03:26 AM
Another stunner from you
I think posted crop is best one
you have offered lot of space to bird with great clarity
OOF branch is adding to image IMHO
thanks for sharing
anothre winner from you

Harshad

arash_hazeghi
06-10-2009, 04:39 AM
Awesome! love the colors and the pose

Randy Stout
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Ramon:

Beautiful bird, good HA, sharp, well exposed.
I like the small twig in the RUC, gives a subtle sense of environment, without overpowering the bird.

Another vote for a crop from left. I would come in at least 1/3 of the empty space.

One minor point, and one I am trying to work on in my own work, when you have a set position, where you can do it, I try to be parallel to the perch with the sensor plane, so that the entire perch is sharp. Many times this isn't possible, but I do think it adds a bit more the image. Many other factors outweigh this one in your decision making process, but its something to try.

Cheers

Randy

Greg Basco
06-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Ramon, great light and sharpness on this little guy. I agree with you about the composition being improved by moving the hummingbird more to the left. I'm guessing it would have brought more of that leafy branch into the frame, which also would have been great. That said, I think it's a successful image as is and has more value as a full-frame image than as a crop job.

I sure would like to visit this place -- algun dia!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Ramon, I liked the crop as-is. I also prefer the OOF branch. I dont find it too distracting because the beak points towards that. If the bird was looking below, then, I perhaps wud not have liked that oof branch.

the shallow depth of field makes this image IMO

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Stu Bowie
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Ramon, you have exposed the colours on the hummer perfectly. This is sharp, showing good detail, and love the pose. Killer BG too. I would consider a vertical crop with this. Congrats on a fine image.

Kiran Poonacha
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Great Image Ramon.. Loved the frame and details..congrats

Dave Barnes
06-11-2009, 02:13 AM
Ramon I also like the branch in the top right and would keep it in but I would try and loose a bit of space top, left and bottom.
Super exposure showing great colour and feather detail. I love the touch of red below the bill.

Gyorgy Szimuly
06-11-2009, 02:30 AM
That is another stunner just another way :) Lovely bg again and so nice and really fine details. Your sharpening method should be mailed to me :) I would appreciate it.

Szimi