View Full Version : Common Loon - Wing Flap

Scott A. Flaherty
06-08-2009, 02:07 PM
http://store.clanoflaherty.com/img/v6/p553057091-5.jpg

Nikon D300, Nikon AF-S 200-400mm f/4 VR

Randy Stout
06-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Scott:

I am quite partial to loons, and always love seeing them posted. Nice wing display here, while maintaining reasonable eye contact. I like the water pouring off the breast. The big issue would be the angle of light. Because the dorsal surface of the wings are in the shadow, it doesn't show them off to full effect. You might be able to coax out some more detail in them, but probably not enough to make it a killer image.

The framing is a bit tight on each side for my taste.

Keep them coming! It is also very helpful to include your full exposure data, f/stop , shutter speed, ISO , metering mode, post processing, etc. It helps with the critique!

Randy

Randy Stout
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Scott:

I tried to tease out a bit more detail from the wings. I think it helps a bit.
Be sure to post the images at 1024 by 800, it gives us a bigger image to view.

Thanks

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Neat pose and good angle. I could see this as pano crop and would tone down the whites some more. I like Randy's repost.

Fabs Forns
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Excellent repost and critque by Randy. Love the wingspread. Lots of potential!

Lana Hays
06-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Scott
Randy has done a good job of bringing out some nice detail. You've gotten some nice images from the Loon trip....I wish I were there. Things have really changed.....I guess you've got internet now. When I was there cell phones wouldn't even work. Tell Chas I said hi.....and good light!!

Randy Stout
06-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Scott:

Was this loon shot at Chas. workshop?

I thought that mandible looked familiar, but passed it off as just coincidence.

I have a lot of pictures of that bird.

Cheers

Randy