PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Duck

Jan Wegener
06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
this was one of the very few "getable" species I didn't have a shot of. Well, this changed last week :)
Here in Germany, getting ducks is almost impossible and not even comparable to the awesome chances I had in Canada.
1D Mark IIn
600 IS
580EX II + BB @-1

very tricky water, so I tried to balance it somehwat with the flash. Additionally these ducks are real contrast monsters, so you always struggle between needed underexposing to keep the whites and getting too dark BGs.....However, here I think it works. On some screens this might appear a bit dark. On mine it's fine, so please tell me what you think :)

http://www.vogelfotografien.de/Test/tuft.jpg

Juan Aragonés
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Well I am going to have the pleasure of be the first one to write a coment on this wonderful image Jan. In my monitor it looks outstanding. You did a superb job with the exposure. the color of the warter is to die for and the duck pose are eye contact are fantastic. I only wish for just a bit more room at the bottom because the head´s reflection is a bit tight. One image to be proud Jan

Jan Wegener
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
yeah Juan, that's why I actually don't like reflections and usually try to avoid them. Cause you either cut them or the bird moves into a too high position in the frame....Additionally, the not high enough Canon AF Fields make it even harder :) I really wish for a row above the upper row

However, I could easily add some more water, if you guys think it would improve the image :)

Stu Bowie
06-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Jan, lovely low angle, and this is pin sharp. I feel you have exposed the greens and blacks exceptionally well, but find a slight hot spot, where the white joins the black. Lovely eye, and in this, I would keep the reflection. Adding a bit more space as Juan has said, will work. Great image.

Juan Aragonés
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Jan I agree with you, reflections are problematic from a composition point of view but, man, you have a sweet problem with this image that I would love to have ;)
If it is OK with your ethics it would be great to add a litle bit of room to improve the composition of this fantastic image :)
BTW, I think that you have found a treasure in that pond!

Nagesh Mula
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Jan, its a beautiful image. The color of water is great and the image captured is awesome with good sharpness. I agree with Juan's comment on adding more canvas to the bottom so as to give extra space to reflection.
Also, if it would have been my picture, I would have toned down the lights (next to the white patch) i.e. just when the belly starts bcoz of flash.
Overall a great image. Congratulations!!

Adrian David
06-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Great exposure, very nice details and pose, and a fantastic water color! On my monitor it looks great! Congrats!

Charles Wesley
06-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Jan,

This image looks great on my monitor. Like the exposure and color very much.
Keep sending your images...

Axel Hildebrandt
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Great details, eye contact and water colors. I like the reflection and composition, maybe just a bit more room all around. The image could go a bit brighter for my taste and I would tone down the whites a tad more. Is the darkish spot in the upper right a clone mark or due to jpg compression?

Fabs Forns
06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Excellent points make above, just minor stuff on a great image!

Kiran Poonacha
06-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Great image indeed... Beautiful species.. I loved the details on this

Ramon M. Casares
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I am with Juan here, I agree with him 100%, Great and stunnnig image, and a bit more room would make it even better. Big congratulations!