PDA

View Full Version : Slender Skimmer/ Green Marsh Hawk

Nagesh Mula
06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I am not sure on the name of this dragon fly, just did an internet search and came up with this name.
Took this pic in India in the fields with 400mm, as I was shooting birds and suddenly realized the beauty of this fly.
EOS 50D
1/2000
f/6.3
-1/3
ISO 400

I would like to know your opinion on its Sharpness, Composition and other aspects.
Please be straightforward as am here to learn :).

Thanks

Julie Kenward
06-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Nagesh, I think you did a lovely job on this! I think it's got great sharpness all the way down the insect. I like that we can see his eyes, although it's always better when you can capture them with the eyes looking right at the camera. I even like the 3-D effect you got from your choice of aperture.

I did do a few small things to the image...I deleted the one really bright grass at the bottom of the frame just to the right of the main reed because it was so much brighter than the others (bad clone job...sorry - was in a hurry!) This is purely my choice - you could leave it alone or even just bring down the light tones a bit so it isn't quite so bright. Another thing I did was to end the grass that the insect is on at the top so it ends within the frame of the image. Lastly, there were two specular highlights on the left side in the grasses that I cloned over - again, you could leave them in or just tone them down so they don't compete with the main subject.

Next time, you might try to twist the camera a bit so the grasses go at a diagonal angle - that always adds some more interest. I'd also try a wider open aperture if you think you can still get this level of sharpness on the insect...it's always nice to have the BG a bit blurrier if possible. All in all a very nice image!

Christopher Miller
06-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Nagesh, I think this is a very nice image and agree totally with Julie's suggestions. The sharpness is great and I like the lines produced the grasses and the dragonfly's wings. I do kinda wish the eyes were more visible, but I think the patterns on the wings and body make up for that. Well done!

Alfred Forns
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Agree with previous but its a neat pose and I like it Really different !!!!

Nagesh Mula
06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks Julie for your suggestions. I like them very much.

Don Lacy
06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Very nice image showing off the intricate veins of the wings.