PDA

View Full Version : Indian Mynah

Nagesh Mula
06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I took this picture during my recent visit to India. Though this bird is very common but it was quite hard for me to photograph it with an intended BG.
I was reading news the other day and it was very sad to know that this very bird is in Australian culling list. It seems last year itself nearly 25000 of them were killed and this year they are planning for more.
This species like others were brought into Australia so as to feed on insects which are harmful to Sugarcane crops. Over time Mynah's multiplied as there were no natural predators and now they are becomming threatened to Australia's native species.
I do not understand why human beings always try to play with Nature. It is but natural that every species as low as Insect in the chain to Mammals at a place are designed to live in accordance with Nature, moving them from one place to another as part of experiement can lead to drastic effect on environment and eventually on Human Beings itself. Australian's are slowly realising this simple point and I hope, people at other places take a cue from it. China, Japan are you listening..........

EOS 50D
f/5.6
ISO 400
1/1000
-1/3

Cropped a little from bottom, run NN on the BG.
I would like to know your opinion on it whether its good or bad. Please be straightforward as I am here to learn :).

Thanks

Anton Roos
06-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Bird stand out well from a busy Bg. Sharp and well exposed with good detail. I would prefer more space at the top and bottom. Maybe a portrait comp? Like the pose and open beak. Well done to show him in a natural environment.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I like the calling pose, light and details. I agree regarding a wider crop top and bottom or a vertical. The fate of this species seems to be a good example for good intentions gone wrong.

Todd Frost
06-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Nice pose and sharpness. Like the inclusion of habitat, agree with a little more room top and bottom.

Todd

Tony Whitehead
06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Well done to get a good calling pose, Nagesh. I find these birds quite challenging as they are intelligent and very wary of things being pointed toward them. They have been introduced to South African and New Zealand in addition to Australian and are very successful against the native birds due to their intelligence and aggression.