PDA

View Full Version : Paphiopedilum esquirolei

John Lowin
06-06-2009, 11:48 PM
This is another species orchid from my collection. Captured by window light on the breakfast room table. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/25 1.0s ISO 640
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Julie Kenward
06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
John, you've got great detail here but I'm not sure I agree with your choice of composition. It feels very "squat" with the leaves poking into the frame. I'd either include more leaves or none at all - possibly a vertical crop instead of the horizontal.

I'd also consider cloning out the hot flash marks on the flower.

John Lowin
06-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Julie, I've used another view of esqurolei to make it taller. however this species this is a short-stemmed Paph. I can't clone out hot flash marks, because no flash was used. Paph esqurolei has a very waxy blossom with tremendous substance and these are normal, natural highlights of this species. I have toned them down, but it looks like an unhealthy plant to me now. - John

John, you've got great detail here but I'm not sure I agree with your choice of composition. It feels very "squat" with the leaves poking into the frame. I'd either include more leaves or none at all - possibly a vertical crop instead of the horizontal.

I'd also consider cloning out the hot flash marks on the flower.

Fabs Forns
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Incredible detail on the Slipper, John, I like the second crop better, great going!

John Lowin
06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks Fabs, I appreciate it. - John

Incredible detail on the Slipper, John, I like the second crop better, great going!

Roman Kurywczak
06-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey John,
You have quite the collection. This is one sweet specimen! How do you feel about eliminating the RH leaf that is cut? I think both comps have merit and while I like the bigger presentation of the flower in the first.....I do find I like the added greenery of the 2nd. either way.....very nicely done!