PDA

View Full Version : Salty

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2009, 09:45 PM
From a recent outing to the saltmarsh in the Everglades. The yellow groundcover is saltwart and is actually pretty tasty. Ask Roman.

5d2
16-35 II
Lens (mm): 16
ISO: 100
Aperture: 18
Shutter: 2
Exp. Comp.: +0.3
3 stop hard gnd

Paul Marcellini
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Here's a bw, I'm torn between which to put on the website.

Mike Fuhr
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I really liked the color shot ... until I saw the b/w. Way more dramatic in my opinion.

Dave Mills
06-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Paul, IMO I like the color better. The BW gives you a more dramatic sky but also amplifies the busy logs that are all around. The color seems to mute some of that due to the yellow being so dominant. For my taste I would randomly clone out some of the dead wood so it didn't seem quite so cluttered...Personal choice though...

Valerio Tarone
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Paul Hi I prefer the first one, I think that's not the fit one for B/W. The Fg tree is large , it doesn't disturb, nice the ..sky with the streams!

Nagesh Mula
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I liked the color pic very much. I feel that you are not showing the texture here for a need to use B/W.
Also, the yellow flower in the FG and the blue sky above complements each other very much.

Grady Weed
06-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Color for sure Paul. I love the glades. And especially the areas like this one. Is this on the way down past Anhinga on the way to the ocean and marina?

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey Paul,
I like the color post best too....trees seem to stand out better.....just salty enough to go good with a beer!

Paul Wolf
06-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Paul:
I like the color version much, much better, as well. On my monitor, though, it looks just a little too flat for my taste. You might consider punching this up a bit especially to draw out even more detail in that driftwood and brighten the yellow. Of course, that is strictly personal taste. You might even be able to play with Perspective and make it even more dramatic. Point is, this is such a great image as is, which makes it very amenable to playing around with. I just wouldn't be able to help myself!

Paul Marcellini
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys,

Grady, yeah its down close to Flamingo.

Paul, I looked at the web version compared to my master file and it did lose some pop, so I agree with you. I don't go as far as changing perspective though.

Robert Amoruso
06-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Paul,

I would go with the color here due to the yellow. The B&W needs a contrast boost (at least on the laptop I am on). As usual nice work with the FG composition.

David Thomasson
06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Drinking beer and eating yellow swamp weeds out in the 'Glades? ... I have got to move back to South Florida! :cool:

Nice capture, Paul. The yellows and blues play off each other nicely and make the color version a winner.
The B&W conversion is a bit drab. B&W might work on this one, but it would need to be more radical. Like this? I'm not sure ...

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4303/marshbw.jpg

Julie Kenward
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Definitely love the yellow in the color version, Paul. You sure found the perfect angle for the tree on the ground - it really gives this a 3D image and makes me feel like I could take a step and reach out and touch it. Excellent attention to detail!

Ed Cordes
06-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I like the color version. The yellows make it!