PDA

View Full Version : Cliche

Phil Colla
02-03-2008, 12:26 AM
OK, its cliche, so hammer away with the critiques! I've got to return in Apr and May so want to hear what I can do better when I shoot it again next.

http://www.oceanlight.com/jpgg/ns/18000.jpg

1DsII / 24-70 f/2.8 / ISO 160 / f/14 / a manual blend of two exposures at 10 and 40 seconds / cable release and mirror lockup.

Chris Starbuck
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Cliche? Maybe, but only because most of the planet's population agrees that it's a beautiful place. I haven't gotten tired of looking at these images yet. I like this one. I think the high contrast creates drama. There's just enough detail in the darker areas to hold some mystery without going black. Some might not like the bright highlights, but I think the curving highlight on the left helps balance the image by repeating the curve of the foreground rock on the right. And the others accentuate the shapes of the rock.

If you want more detail in the shadows and/or highlights, you could make a broader range of exposures to combine in HDR, but I'm sure you know that.

I like this as is.

Chris

Roman Kurywczak
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Hi Phil,
I agree with Chris.......so what you've seen it......it's still very well composed (great curves) and lit. You'd be surprised by how many bad pictures I see from there. Well done and I hope on your April/May trip you add to your collection!
Roman

Lance Warley
02-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I triple what Chris and Roman said.

Just simply beautiful.

I hope to get to Page someday soon.

Michael Pancier
02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I never get tired of the place. will be there myself in 3 weeks.

I can't think of anything to improve the shot. love it as is

John Cooper
02-03-2008, 09:21 PM
A beautiful image very well captured Phil. Enjoy your next trip!!

Bret Edge
02-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm a big believer in two things: Icons are icons for a reason, and if I've never photographed a location it's new & exciting to me no matter how many thousands of photographers have stood there before me.

I honestly see nothing to critique with this image. The composition is perfect and your blend is very well executed. Too many photographers create blends that just aren't natural looking but this doesn't have any of the tell-tale signs of an HDR image. Really a beautiful image, Phil.

Jason Hahn
02-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Not much to add Phil, I think the composition is very strong, I particularly like how the curve of the rock emerges from the lower right and leads your eye along with the brightening of the light to the top of the frame. Great to see you here, I really enjoy your work.

Jason

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Expanding upon the excellent critiques so far, if only I had a cliche image like this. :)

The slot canyons and HDR were made for each other.

This is an excellently composed image. Thanks.

Ed Cordes
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Like Bret said "Icons are icons for a reason". This is beautiful. I hope to get there some day and would love to get an image like this. The colors and gradations are super. The curves are emphasized well with the processing you did. Thanks for sharing.

D. Robert Franz
02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Just outstanding

John Obenaus
02-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Might lighten the top left a tad to bring out a bit more detail, but otherwise a beautiful image.