PDA

View Full Version : Disclosing Shooting Locations: Revisited through NANPA

Jay Gould
06-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi, there was either a thread or a few posts in a thread about whether or not to disclose little-known or your personal photo locations. Here is another take on the subject from NANPA

http://www.nanpa.org/committees/ethics/locations_intro.php<o:p></o:p>

Ethics Committee<o:p></o:p>

Should photographers disclose the locations of little-known photographic sites?

Introduction

By Michael Frye, Chair, Ethics Committee<o:p></o:p>

Revealing where a photograph was taken may help develop support for preserving that area. On the other hand, it may also draw hordes of photographers and nature lovers whose collective impact could destroy the original beauty or disturb sensitive plants and animals. If the location is imminently threatened by logging, mining, or other forms of development, then the choice seems simple. But in other situations the answer is not as clear. This month we are pleased to have Jim Erhardt and Bill Silliker present their views on whether nature photographers should disclose the locations of little-known photographic sites.<o:p></o:p>

We invite readers to comment on this topic. We may publish (with permission) some of these responses in Ripples or on the NANPA web site. Please send your comments to Please send your comments to arogers@resourcenter.com.<o:p></o:p>

To disclose... (http://www.nanpa.org/committees/ethics/locations_pro.php)
by Jim Erhardt<o:p></o:p>

...or not to disclose. (http://www.nanpa.org/committees/ethics/locations_con.php)
by Bill Silliker

Desmond Chan
06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Are there any other branches of photography that has so many rules and regulations on how, what and where to photograph? :)

Rocky Sharwell
06-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I would not call the NANPA stuff rules or regulations--more like table manners.

It is something that just comes up from time to time--I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer.

Dave Mills
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Absolutely no definitive answer on this...Totally up to the individual about revealing a location.

Cliff Beittel
06-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Are there any other branches of photography that has so many rules and regulations on how, what and where to photograph? :)
As was already pointed out, NANPA isn't a rules making authority. As to rules governing other areas of photography, just try flashing Tiger Woods during his downswing and see what happens.

Jared Lloyd
06-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I personally find the conversation quite interesting as it is a debate that I regularly consider.

I recently moved to Jackson Hole Wyoming and a local photographer told me about a badger den up in the Lamar valley. The following day I happened to be headed to the Lamar and decided I would check out the spot. Upon arriving however, there were at least 20-30 photographers lined up 15 yards away from the den. Obviously this is a well known spot, and I couldnt help to wonder if the place was called badger rock because of the badger den, or because of the constant "badgering" of photographers. I didnt even set up my equipment, I simply shook my head and turned around and went back to my truck. Ethically speaking I just couldnt bring myself to being apart of that.

Obviously someone found out about the spot and the photographic community had become well aware of it and the place had turned into a zoo. A similiar situation had also occured in the tow of Jackson as well with a fox den. As soon as the news got out, people were driving up from as far away as Utah to set up 20 feet from the fox den. On most days there were at least 5 photographers working the spot until the property owner, Teton Science Schools (my employer) had to step in and start policing the den site.

Obviously the Teton's and Yellowstone are hot spots for photographers. A previously undisclosed spot gets leaked out and an orgy of giant lenses soon takes place until "authorities" shut it down. At the same time, lesser known locations do not get this same sort of pressure by photographers and wildlife watchers and therefore the potential impact upon the animals are quite less as maybe 4 or 5 photographers will ever come to see it.

For this reason I just don't think that the issue is black and white. Some places I dont think that it matters to much wether or not you disclose information. In other places however, the potential harmful impact certainly carries eithical weight.

Jared

Photo Journal (http://www.JaredLloydphoto.wordpress.com)

David Kennedy
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Photojournalism. And the ethics are enforced! :)

Dave Mills
06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
In amatuer photography there are no rules except if you enter a photography comp or club that has certain requirements they dictate you follow. That is an elective. Professional photographers(folks who make their living at it)generally have requirements and standards by the people they work for or sell their images to...
I'm sure there are nuances I haven't mentioned but that seems to generally be the situation

Jack Graham
06-14-2009, 11:08 AM
To me sharing is just part of the process!