PDA

View Full Version : Tiger in B&W

Sabyasachi Patra
06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, India. This is a full frame image. Handheld.
Canon EOS 1D Mark II, EF 300mm f4 L IS USM, ISO 800, f4, 1/160 sec. Full frame image.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Todd Frost
06-07-2009, 12:49 PM
70+ views and no comments yet! Sabyasachi, this is one of my favorites that you have posted. I think the only thing I might do is take a little off the top. DOF just right w/oof fg & bg. Very well done.

Todd

Grady Weed
06-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I like the image as a whole and love the b&w look. The front paw seems a bit close to the edge, but the head turn saves it. Love the tree on the left side as a border. The foliage behind him gives it a very nice habitat feel.

Stu Bowie
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Saby, IMHO, I think you have lost the impact converting this to B&W. As is, great eye contact, and I would maybe take a bit off the top.

Steve Canuel
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Sabyasachi,
I like the border created by the tree and the tiger. I agree with Stuart on losing the impact with the B/W conversion. IMO, the colors/stripes of the tiger are one of the most striking and beautiful patterns in the natural world and need to be seen in color. Do you have a color version of this one?

Sabyasachi Patra
06-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Dear All,
Thanks for your comments. I agree with Steve that Tiger is perhaps God's most magnificent creation. I have uploaded the colour version in a separate thread. I wanted this particular composition as the tree on the left and the bund at the bottom was giving a L shaped composition. It was tough to ensure that the virtual paw didn't get clipped.

I had posted this image as I was not able to nail down the areas for improvement. I had entered this in the BBC competition and this had reached the semis in the B&W category but not beyond. So I was expecting to get feedback as there are lot of good photographers and critiques around.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi