PDA

View Full Version : Shady Egret

Charles Wesley
06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
This guy was trying to relax on a warm day in the shade. Decided not to eliminate shadow from the shrub on this bird. Also left the mixed light in the BG. Thought it might evoke an artistic feel to this photo.

Canon EOS- 1D, EF 500mm f/4.0, EX 550 flash, BB and tripod with Wimberley. My exposure was 1/200 sec. @ f/ 11.0 ISO 100.

Enjoy...

Doug Brown
06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the feather detail in the whites. I'm not a big fan of the shadows. I only wish for a bit more eye contact.

Juan Aragonés
06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Eye works fine for me but I agree with Doug about the shadow

Paul Wolf
06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Charlie:
I like the pose and the mood it imparts, and I see what you're trying to do with the shadows but they just don't seem to be working for me, either. The whites are exposed nicely allowing detail to remain. But I would be tempted to clone out the shadows, maybe go all black on the background and warp that eye into better position. It would take a good bit of work but worth a try perhaps. Good field technique, too, like that excellent flash work and getting such a sharp image at that shutter speed with that lens.

Julie Kenward
06-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Charles, I think the shadows would work in this case if we could see part of the tree / branch that was making them. As is, we are just left wondering why this bird has marks on its back. Remember that YOU know the branch was there but without proof of it your viewers won't know. One of those "you had to be there" things!

Lovely whites on the bird. This image has a very intimate feel to it.

Charles Wesley
06-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone for your critiques. Jules you really helped me see the light by your comment about the viewer not seeing the tree/ branch in this photo forming the shadow. Now I know how to shoot better at Alligator Farm. The secret on some shots like this one is to get in much tighter. Dealing with the BG's is key.

Thanks so much...