PDA

View Full Version : Pied Flycatcher

Rich Steel
06-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Hi

Every year I set myself a mini challenge of trying to photograph the three summer visitors of the western oak woods of North Wales, the wood warbler, common redstart and pied flycatcher. I had managed the first two but the pied flycatcher were still to be done and my mission had failed as it had already slipped into early June. Time was running out fast for my opportunity to photograph the flycatchers as the birds completely disappear as soon as the young have fledged. So I decided to take a day off work especially for them this week and took the two hour drive out to the sessile oak woods. To say it was hard work is an understatement. It was a two hour wait tucked into the undergrowth, feeding the local midge population before I started getting some photos. At the moment I am completely covered in some very itchy midge bites. The other problem were some very tricky light conditions with the constantly changing sunlight filtering through the tree canopy and trying to get good exposure on the black and white males. Despite all that I had a great time as they really are wonderful little birds to photograph.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/piedfly10200906.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens on a monopod. Taken with evaluative metering at ISO 400 F5.6 -0.33 EV at 1/320 s

Cheers

Rich

Rosl Roessner
06-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Hi Rich,
all your efforts are really paid off with that image! (If my english is understandable...)
I love the branch, the BG and of course the details in the plumage of the bird!
I've been in Mid Wales last week, also trying to get some images of the same bird, but did fail at the end....
So I am a bit envious (of course in a friendly way :) ) of that well composed image!
Congrats!

Jan Wegener
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
best shot of this species I've ever seen ! :)

Juan Aragonés
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Superb image Rich. I think I would not change a single pixel in this one. Love the mass of insects in th ebill of thi smale and the fantastic pose. Very good job

Stu Bowie
06-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Rich, excellent exposure on flycatcher, sharp, with lovely feather detail. I like the perch, and what a killer BG. His feast a bonus.

Tony Whitehead
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Superb result for your efforts, Rich. The bites will go but this image will last. BG, perch, pose, exposure all spot on. Colour palette is beautiful and sets the B&W bird off very well. Good to be able to get a day off work for this.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Your effort payed off.

Stunning flycatcher. The perch itself has lots of beauty. A little extra sharpening on the eye would make this one even better. jc

Peregrine Craig Nash
06-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Rich you are taking some superb images at the moment and this can join the Redstart images. Jealous

Gyorgy Szimuly
06-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Well done image. Details, sharpness is lovely.
I might crop something from the bottom just for my taste ;)

Szimi

Rich Steel
06-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Many thanks for the comments. The midge bites are slowly disappearing!

Cheers

Rich

Ramon M. Casares
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Brilliant! Great pose, perch, BG, textures, light, detail, exposure, colors and natural moment. Big congratulations!