PDA

View Full Version : Dendrobium aberrans Revisited

John Lowin
06-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I took Roman's suggestions, well, sort of. This Dendrobium aberrans blossom is virtually full frame. I created this image with the Canon 180mm Macro plus a 12mm, 20mm and 36mm extension tubes, for a total of 68mm. Main light source, window light. I also added a slight bit of flash fill at 1/8 power bounced off of a white card. Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/25 2.5s ISO 640 180mm
Canon 1D Mk II
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L USM Macro
Canon Speedlite 550EX E-TTL
Canon OC-E3 Off Camera Shoe Cord
Canon RS-80N3 Remote Switch
Gitzo 1228 CF tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead

Julie Kenward
06-06-2009, 01:00 PM
John, this is beautiful! I do have one suggestion and that would be to tone down the one very white petal right below the main focal point - if you could darken that so it more closely matched the other BG petals it would keep my eye right on the main bud better.

Gorgeous BG and lighting - this feels light as a feather and really gives you the sense of the delicacy of the orchid.

John Lowin
06-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Hi Julie, How do you like the repost? - John

John, this is beautiful! I do have one suggestion and that would be to tone down the one very white petal right below the main focal point - if you could darken that so it more closely matched the other BG petals it would keep my eye right on the main bud better.

Gorgeous BG and lighting - this feels light as a feather and really gives you the sense of the delicacy of the orchid.

Roman Kurywczak
06-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey John,
Had I remembered you had the 180mm lens.....I would have recomended it earlier! I am always a big fan of in your face presentations and this is no exception. Like the little tweak too. My only recommendation is to possibly remove the 2nd stem at top of bloom...but it is soft enough that I am also OK with leaving it....just a preference. Nicely done!